What would be the best choice?

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the individual is a sophomore in the electrical engineering program with a minor in computer science. They are interested in pursuing a career in quantum computing and are unsure of which degree would be best for this field. They have considered a physics degree but prefer engineering and are planning to attend graduate school after completing their bachelor's degree. It is suggested that a mathematics degree would be best for theoretical aspects of quantum computing while physics or electrical engineering would be better for technical aspects.
Maxwell
I posted this in the EE forum, but it got very few responses (read: none). So I have decided to post it here, since this is the forum for this type of post, anyway.

Here it is:

Right now, I am a sophomore in the electrical engineering program. I am also pursuing a computer science minor, in which I need 3 more classes.

My question is, what would be the best degree to have to get into the field of quantum computing?

My school also offers a Computer Engineering degree. The reason why I chose EE/CS over CoE is because 1) an EE degree looks better; and 2) because the EE degree looked more rigorous. And since I'm getting a CS minor, I'm pretty much taking the same exact classes a CoE would take, with a couple of extras.

I'm positive that I will be attending grad school after I get my bachelors, so maybe I would be able to specialize then. I'm not sure which degree would be best.

I have even thought about getting a physics degree, but I really love engineering.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell said:
My question is, what would be the best degree to have to get into the field of quantum computing?

That depends... I would say if you want to work on theoretical aspects of quantum computing (algorithms and general theory) it would be mathematics. If you are interested in the technical aspects then it would be physics or electrical engineering although I would lean towards physics.

You could take Electrical Engineering and concentrate in Quantum Computing.

1. What factors should I consider when making the best choice?

The best choice is subjective and can depend on various factors such as personal values, goals, resources, and potential outcomes. It is important to consider all relevant factors and prioritize them based on their importance to you.

2. How do I determine the potential consequences of my choices?

Predicting the exact consequences of a choice is not always possible, but you can make an informed decision by gathering information, evaluating potential outcomes, and considering the likelihood and impact of each outcome.

3. What are some tools or methods I can use to evaluate my options?

There are various tools and methods you can use to evaluate your options, such as cost-benefit analysis, decision matrices, and SWOT analysis. These techniques can help you weigh the pros and cons of each choice and make a more informed decision.

4. Is there a right or wrong choice?

There is no definitive right or wrong choice, as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and perspective. However, you can make a more favorable choice by considering all relevant information and aligning it with your goals and values.

5. How can I ensure I am making the best choice for the long term?

To make a choice that will have positive long-term effects, it is important to consider the potential consequences and weigh them against your long-term goals. Additionally, regularly evaluating and adjusting your choices can help you stay on track towards your objectives.