What would happen if the Moon wasn't there?

• B
  • Thread starter Adamchiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: Earth's rotation. However, if the moon was destroyed, blown up for example, most likely all life on our planet would be destroyed. In summary, the moon plays a crucial role in the development and maintenance of life on Earth. Its tidal force affects ocean currents and nutrient distribution, while also stabilizing the rotation of our planet. Without the moon, life as we know it would not exist.
Adamchiv
So 2 scenarios..

1. There never was a moon, could we expect life in any form?

2. If it was removed now what might the effect on Earth be?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1. Probably not. This answer also ties in with your second question. Without the moon (assuming it just vanished or never existed) our planet would be very different. First off, the moon has a tidal force on our planet, which causes the sea levels to rise and fall periodically. Those tides are actually responsible for the movement of very crucial nutrients, which without would not result in the diverse lifeforms which first began in our oceans. Consequently to answer your question, (2), without the moon we would not have tides, (very little, as the sun does have some affect, but not much). Also our planet would rotate faster, as a consequence of tidal force, is tidal "friction", which acts like a drag on our rotation. However if the moon was destroyed, blown up for example, most likely all life on our planet would be destroyed. Overall... without the moon Earth is not same.

-ELHPhysics

The primary effect of the Moon on Earth is that it causes tides.(The Sun does too though to lesser amount)
Tides in the early seas may have played a significant role in life developing, but there isn't a strong argument that tides are essential for life.
If the Moon now disappeared this could disrupt ecosystems of coastal margins, which have adapted to the tide cycles.
It probably wouldn't upset land based and deep sea life very much.

ELHPhysics said:
without the moon we would not have tides, (very little, as the sun does have some affect, but not much).
Solar tides are half as large as lunar. That's hardly insignificant. The difference would have been larger in the past, but what is the argument that makes any specific tidal height necessary for life?

Bandersnatch said:
Solar tides are half as large as lunar. That's hardly insignificant. The difference would have been larger in the past, but what is the argument that makes any specific tidal height necessary for life?
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jmb/2013/684739/

This is mostly what I'm basing my argument off (as well as basic knowledge). I was actually unaware of the solar tidal affect on the Earth (I think my misconception was thinking it was 1/36 or 1/64 as powerful). Though the main premise of the argument is in the fact that tidal forces are responsible for the movement of nutrients. Specifically (stated in the journal I linked as well as other sources), Phytoplankton are key in biological development. And their movement is very much the result of tidal action. They are actually responsible for within 50% to 80% of the oxygen creation on our planet. More specifically to your argument, I'm pretty sure that weaker tidal action would result in the stagnation (relative to the force) of nutrients in the oceans.

ELHPhysics said:
However if the moon was destroyed, blown up for example, most likely all life on our planet would be destroyed.

-ELHPhysics

All life? I find that difficult to believe that the Moon vanishing would lead to the death of all bacteria and organisms living on the bottom of the oceans.

lifeonmercury said:
All life? I find that difficult to believe that the Moon vanishing would lead to the death of all bacteria and organisms living on the bottom of the oceans.

Probably should have specified what I meant. If the moon suddenly exploded the planet would suffer from the debris of the explosion. The entire structure of the Earth would change (literally from kinetic impact) Not only this but the actual core structure of the Earth is affected by the force of gravitational attraction. So the instability could cause huge eruptions. Probably shouldn't have generalized it, but let's be honest... it would be pretty bad

-ELHPhysics

I figured that's what you probably meant. I wonder what it would really take to wipe out all life including every last bacterium.

Likes ELHPhysics
lifeonmercury said:
I figured that's what you probably meant. I wonder what it would really take to wipe out all life including every last bacterium.
Temperature like Venus might do it.

Likes ELHPhysics
Venus is an extreme example, but some bacteria might survive there underground. Mercury too www.lifeonmercury.com

Likes ELHPhysics
This is originally from the History Channel's "Universe" series, not from National Geographic as the name of the video states.

Removing the moon would be an issue, but, I doubt it would seriously impact life on Earth that originated in deep sea vents - albeit might significantly delay its evolution into multicellular organisms. I question whether our current level of knowledge can decide this issue.

Likes Bandersnatch
I once read a material saying that moon has reduced the rotation speed of the Earth in the past 4 billion years. So indeed moon has shaped the rhythm of life on the earth. If we remove the moon now, I reckon the tides will be gone (as people said) and also the rotation speed of the Earth will change.

Don't worry ... it is slowly "removing itself", moving away from Earth by 4cm/year (1m in 25 years). It's out now (away from earth) at ave 375,000km, in the past (e.g. dinosaur time[?]~ ...) was even at 60,000km, further back min 20,000km I think, and in 2.5 billion years it will go further out by another 100,000km (at the said rate).
So it's all happening. We'll see it all! Just stick around! ...
But yeah, we got time!

But if it weren't for the moon, ...we wouldn't exist! ...
Also we're just lucky now to have total solar eclipses (equal phenomenal diameter to the sun). Hasn't been always the case! But no coincidence, nothing magic either! ... just passing through (just like us all ...!) ...

Stavros Kiri said:
But if it weren't for the moon, ...we wouldn't exist! ...
Something else might though.

rootone said:
Something else might though.
Could ... some kind of life. Earth seems to like it ...

ELHPhysics said:
(2), without the moon we would not have tides, (very little, as the sun does have some affect, but not much). Also our planet would rotate faster, as a consequence of tidal force, is tidal "friction", which acts like a drag on our rotation.
Our planet would not rotate faster. It would stop getting slower over time, i. e. a day would stay 24 hours long and we wouldn't need more and more many leap seconds.

As Bandersnatch mentioned already, we would still have tides. It is not even clear if the tides were necessary for the evolution of life, so half the tides could have been fine as well.

If the moon would vanish now, the long-term stability of the rotation axis of Earth would suffer - the seasons could get more or less extreme over time.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Adamchiv said:
So 2 scenarios..

1. There never was a moon, could we expect life in any form?

2. If it was removed now what might the effect on Earth be?

Thanks

Really, all this isn't known for sure, yet. It's unclear whether life began in tidal waters, that would make a difference. We also recently found that the moon is older than previously believed.

I would be curious to know the importance of the moon concerning the thermodynamics of the early earth- why should the moon not be a major reference to its evolution?

Likes Stavros Kiri
Solar tide is less than half of lunar tide, but still considerable. However, without a moon the seas would be a lot quiter. This would probably lessen the mixing of cold and warm water and therefor of nutritients.
If the moon would explode, its center of gravity would be unaltered. Debris would have effect, but the movement of Earth would not be affected. The question was, where would we be if the moon hadn't been there? I gather that a large part of the initial momentum at the time Earth took form was absorbed by the moon. Without the moon, Earth would rotate considerably faster, so days would be shorter and differences between polar areas and equatorial areas would be larger, especially in climate and weather conditions.

Likes Stavros Kiri
But, would the Earth still have a magnetic field if there was no Moon. The Moon adds to the tidal flexing of the crust and mantle, heating it.
The last I heard, no-one knows exactly how the magnetic field is formed, but it's something to do with flows of molten iron (and huge iron crystals I think)
Without a magnetic field, the Earth's atmosphere would have been denuded by the Solar Wind over billions of years. Particularly the hydrogen in the atmosphere, from H2O. Lose the H2O, and it's going the way of Venus.

Actually water vapour is itself a greenhouse gas, but unlike CO2 we are not concerned that the amount of it increasing rapidly.
As for the Earths magnetic field, while it is not fully understood the basic mechanisms are roughly as you say, to do with flow of molten iron in the core.
There is no reason to suppose that the Moon has anything to do with it.

1. What would happen to Earth's tides without the Moon?

Without the Moon's gravitational pull, Earth's tides would be significantly weaker. The Moon's gravity is responsible for about two thirds of the tidal force on Earth, with the remaining third coming from the Sun. Without the Moon, Earth would experience only one high tide and one low tide per day instead of the two we currently have.

2. Would Earth's axis tilt change without the Moon?

Yes, Earth's axis tilt would be less stable without the Moon's gravitational influence. The Moon's gravity helps stabilize Earth's axial tilt at about 23.5 degrees, which is responsible for our stable seasons. Without the Moon, Earth's axial tilt would vary between 0 and 85 degrees, causing extreme and unpredictable climate changes.

3. How would the absence of the Moon affect life on Earth?

It is difficult to say for certain, but it is likely that life on Earth would be very different without the Moon. The Moon has played a crucial role in shaping Earth's climate, tides, and even the length of our days. Without the Moon, Earth's rotation would be much faster and our days would be only about six hours long. This would have a significant impact on plant and animal life.

4. Would Earth's orbit change without the Moon?

Yes, Earth's orbit would be affected without the Moon's gravitational pull. The Moon's gravity helps stabilize Earth's orbit around the Sun. Without the Moon, our orbit would become more elliptical, meaning we would experience more extreme seasonal changes and potentially even collide with other planets.

5. Could Earth survive without the Moon?

It is possible that Earth could survive without the Moon, but it would be a very different planet. The Moon has played a crucial role in creating a stable and habitable environment for life on Earth. Without the Moon, Earth would experience drastic and unpredictable changes that could potentially make it uninhabitable.