Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would happen with this configuration of static charge

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    What would happen given the following configuration?

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1474/apparatus.jpg [Broken]

The External charge would be depressed slightly so that it does not touch the L body. The L body and external body would be made from a conductive material, and the external body would be sealed off on either end (that is it would be a closed cylinder). The Internal and External charges would carry the same charge. The "L-gap" would be wide enough to ensure there is always an External charge visible and the L body would be longer than the gap between the charges on the external body. The Internal body (everything except the external body and the external charge) are free to rotate around the axle.

In advance, forgive the silly names, I repeat that when I made this I was a lot younger.

Anyway, I've tried to figure out why this wouldn't work by figuring out what would happen. Please let me know where my thinking goes astray:

- Since the "Active Chamber" forms a Faraday cage with the external body and the L bodies, the area within it can be looked at in isolation. I remember testing whether or not the slight gap between the metal body constructing a Faraday cage eliminated the effect entirely and found the effect was minimal. (Correct me if the premise is completely off base).
    - Looking at just the active chamber its easy to see that the L bodies would begin rotating as they are pushed away from the external charge. The external charges would place an outward pressure on the walls of the external body; however, if something was strong enough to resist their movement, they would just stay in place.
    - When the l bodies are rotating they would create a magnetic field, this field would intern have a force applied to the moving internal charge. This force would be an outward force that makes the internal charges want to jump out of the active body towards the external body.

I don't know how to do the math to convince myself that there would be enough force generated for the IC to completely jump out of the internal body leaving it without charge. I intuitively would be surprised by this since I remember reading about how much energy it takes before charge jumps through space to get from one place to another.. not to mention the fact that the external charge would oppose their movement.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted