Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News What would Jesus pack?

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    Personally, I'd prefer the rifles we use in Iraq to have Koran references on them. Just to reflect that we are on the side of the peaceful majority of Muslims worldwide.

Seriously, if this is "the best example of violation of the separation of church and state in this country", I'd say we have pretty darned good separation. Of course now our servicemen will probable be required to file off the references or replace their sights. Oh, wait, that would just be another first amendment violation! :eek:

Now we're in a super catch 22, huh?

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    A dumbass was trying to be ironic. Human stupidity happens. Fine them and switch provider companies. Case closed.

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4
    yeah, it's ironic. they've taken something very obscure, and highlighted it. and if they now go and spend a bunch of money to remove it all, then a bunch of the soldiers will simply respond by replacing it with something less obscure.

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    Wow, that's pretty damn cool! I never knew that about Trijicon.

I just checked the night sights on my pistol, no inscriptions.:mad:

7. Jan 19, 2010 #6

OmCheeto

Gold Member

They said2P3:16they were there all the time! I don't know why people are gettingin a huff about it now. Q33:7

But yah, bible references on rifles is about as weird as going to war in the name of jn11:35god.

8. Jan 19, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 19, 2010 #8

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Maybe he's a republican.

propaganda-republican-jesus-m16-war-demotivational-poster-1205029749.jpg

10. Jan 19, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Leaving aside the appropriateness of using rifles with bible verses on in a crusade.

It said the owner did it because he was a committed christian. It's been a few years since school, I was never a big fan of the nuns - but I don't seem to remember that Jesus' central message was "kill or be killed".

Logically (!) wouldn't this upset the christians back home more than the muslims abroad?

11. Jan 19, 2010 #10
    it's not obvious that Jesus taught pacifism, either. one of his disciples was carrying a sword and cut a guy's ear off. "turn the other cheek" is often misunderstood as pacifism, as well, but it's really about standing up to people.

12. Jan 19, 2010 #11

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

...and then he told him to put down the sword. That's kind of an important part you left off.

13. Jan 19, 2010 #12
    They should absolutely have their contract yanked. This is not only a clear breach, but jeapordizes the army's mission in the Middle East.

It's hard enough to convince people that this is not a holy war, without putting bible references on our weapons.

14. Jan 19, 2010 #13
    I think you are reading more into it than there is. It's not about Christians and killing so much as it is about a business owner and a gun sight product.

If the subject of the thread is to discuss being a Christian and carrying guns then I would remind you that there were Roman soldiers that followed Jesus teachings while He was alive back in the day. Some of the disciples carried swords.

There is no dichotomy there. Just the modern stereotype of what a Christian should be (that both Christians and nonChristians have) and what Jesus was really all about (which we are not going to talk about).

15. Jan 19, 2010 #14
    i don't want to debate religion with you, but i think it is significant that they were carrying swords right up until the end.

also, the Church of Rome was a government that ruled with military force for much of the last 2000 years.

16. Jan 19, 2010 #15
    pretty much. if the guy had sold can openers, they would have the same markings.

17. Jan 19, 2010 #16
    Contract wise, I'm not sure they can legally cancel it based on this. The product has always had these inscriptions. But, they will probably have to change the product in order to renew the contract.

And how would this jeapordize the Army's mission exactly? I think this is being blown a little out of proportions by political correctness.

18. Jan 19, 2010 #17
    Well...on one hand I think it would be quite a waste of the government's money to replace all the scopes with non-inscribed ones. On the other, I find the integration of religion into any part of the government to be unacceptable and should be punished as to avoid making a similar error again. The military rules clearly state that religious propaganda was unwanted for the war which the scopes were required for. After all, this was a 660 million contract, I am sure the government does not just blindly hand over the money to these people, without giving them a full list of military rules and regulations they have to follow. The owner may have been a christian before his "good lord' made him die in a crash, but that does NOT give the right to future people who run this company to break the laws and instructions they are given. And they clearly know it was wrong to do, otherwise they wouldn't have tried to hide it by masking it as some kind of serial number. To me, the company responsible needs to be punished with legal action for breach of important rules specified in their contracts (I gotta say, even without seeing the contract, i am 99.9% sure one of the requirements is that there should be no personalization of the weapon parts done by the company, least of all with christian verses), the government should sue for their money back and use the money to replace all the scopes and stop Jeebus from targeting people abroad.

19. Jan 19, 2010 #18
    Wow! PUNISH THEM! Such outrage. LOL!

20. Jan 19, 2010 #19
    .......and said pick up an M-16! :tongue2:

But seriously though, printing biblical stuff on guns for the US military, umm pretty sure thats not constitutional.

21. Jan 19, 2010 #20

DavidSnider

Gold Member

This is silly. This is not proselytizing, it's just an 'easter egg' placed on one of the products they manufacture. Replacing them for this reason alone is a total waste of money.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook