Reducing Copper: Choosing the Most Effective Oxidizing Agent

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the conversation discussed a question about reducing copper and narrowed it down to two options: Ca and Zn. It was determined that Ca was the weaker oxidizing agent and therefore the better reducer. However, the answer may depend on the situation, with Zn being more convenient. It was also mentioned that Ca violently reacts with water and may not be suitable for reducing copper in solution.
Procrastinate
Today there was a question that asked what would reduce copper?

As a multiple choice question, it was narrowed down to Ca and Zn as they were the only ones that would oxidise more readily than copper.

However, as Ca was lower than Zn, I chose that one because it was the "weaker oxidizing agent." Would that be right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, anything that is lower down on the Ep potential list should give its electrons to copper therefore both answers are correct.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that any oxidizing agent that is weaker than another makes it a stronger reducer than the other. But the one that is farther down would be the best reducer. IE hydroiodic acid would be a really good reducer.

I guess that zinc is the only correct answer because calcium violently reacts with water and thus cannot be used for reducing copper from solutions. On the other hand calcium is definitely a better reducing agent if you smelt it with copper compound in inert atmosphere (otherwise it reacts with air).

Thanks for the answers so far. It was in my exam and I didn't know which one to pick but I was just really curious to know which one was the answer.

However, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer besides that Zinc is probably better in terms of convenience.

1. What are the main factors that reduce copper?

The main factors that reduce copper include exposure to oxygen, acidic or basic environments, and high temperatures. Other factors such as the presence of certain chemicals or microorganisms can also contribute to copper reduction.

2. How does the reduction of copper affect its properties?

The reduction of copper can cause changes in its physical and chemical properties. For example, reduced copper tends to have a darker color and can also be more brittle and less malleable compared to its oxidized form.

3. What methods can be used to reduce copper?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce copper, including chemical reduction using reducing agents such as hydrogen gas or sodium borohydride, electrolytic reduction, and thermal reduction using high temperatures in a controlled environment.

4. What are the potential benefits of reducing copper?

Reducing copper can have various benefits depending on the specific application. For example, in the production of copper metal, reduction can increase the purity and strength of the final product. In environmental remediation, reducing copper can help to detoxify contaminated sites.

5. Are there any risks or drawbacks associated with reducing copper?

While reducing copper can have many beneficial effects, it can also pose some risks and drawbacks. For instance, some reduction methods may involve the use of hazardous chemicals or high temperatures, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. Additionally, reducing copper can also result in the release of toxic byproducts into the environment if not properly managed.