What *would* the night sky look like if we could see the entire EM spectrum?

In summary: This is the Milky Way center combined of 3 images; visible, infrared, xray. Looks very, very different than just the visible.Assuming, of course, that we simply rescaled our color perspectives so that longest wavelengths = red, shortest wavelengths = violet. Not altogether unlike what we see in the visible spectrum. There is a bit more radiation at both ends, but, it does not make a dramatic difference.
SeventhSigma
Assuming, of course, that we simply rescaled our color perspectives so that longest wavelengths = red, shortest wavelengths = violet. Are there any such pictures?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not altogether unlike what we see in the visible spectrum. There is a bit more radiation at both ends, but, it does not make a dramatic difference.

You can no more conceive this than you can describe colour to a blind person. Any pictures we create of this would look the same to you as pictures that didn't include these wavelengths because you can't see them.

Any pictures that show wavelengths like x-ray can only do so if they are shifted into the visible spectrum.

Any pictures that show wavelengths like x-ray can only do so if they are shifted into the visible spectrum.

But that is what the OP suggested...

mr. vodka said:
But that is what the OP suggested...

My mistake. I read colour perception as meaning biologically changing rather than chaining the image.

I actually dug around for a night-sky-average spectrum in absolute units over many decades of wavelength, but couldn't find one so I don't know. But I would bet it would peak in the visible just like the spectrum that our eyes detect does, because most radiation comes from stars that have an effective blackbody spectrum that peaks in the visible. You would get a lot more "blue" from UV up through x-rays (variety of sources), and also a lot more "red" from warm dust down to the cosmic microwave background, but plotted in units like Ergs/s/eV/Sr I would bet it still peaks in the visible.

Chronos said:
Not altogether unlike what we see in the visible spectrum. There is a bit more radiation at both ends, but, it does not make a dramatic difference.
I beg to differ. That what we see in different frequency domains is dramatically different from what we see in the visible spectrum is the driving impetus behind the many different kinds of telescopes astronomers have developed. Astronomers use telescopes that range from long wave radio up to gammas. If what we saw was more or less the same across the EM spectrum there would be little justification for this plethora of devices, some of which are very expensive.

Whether it already exists or not: is there any reason to suspect the picture that the OP suggests can't actually be made? I think that would be a very interesting picture :)

D H said:
I beg to differ. That what we see in different frequency domains is dramatically different from what we see in the visible spectrum is the driving impetus behind the many different kinds of telescopes astronomers have developed. Astronomers use telescopes that range from long wave radio up to gammas. If what we saw was more or less the same across the EM spectrum there would be little justification for this plethora of devices, some of which are very expensive.

I don't think that was the question, at least that's not how I interpret it. Obviously things can look dramatically different in different energy bands, but if the emission levels in those more-exotic bands is low then a detector with a flat response would hardly notice.

Well, one example of how different things could look, if you could see magnetic fields, Jupiter would look something like this.
magneticFiled.jpg

Though I should note they have the wrong moonphase in that image, given the direction of the sun implied by the magnetic field and the moon are almost perpendicular to each other.

Bd1Dd.png

I basically mean something like this -- going from the real-life, current visible spectrum slice and expanding it to where the bold lines are instead. Most of the matter that we are used to seeing with color, on our planet, would appear greenish, but we'd be able to see everything else, too, outside of the 390 to 750 nm range. I'm wondering what that would look like, or what the night sky would look like. I am just trying to understand what would look different and how.

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has a different wavelength and frequency, and together they make up the entire spectrum of electromagnetic energy.

2. Why can't we see the entire electromagnetic spectrum?

Our eyes are only sensitive to a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as visible light. This is because our eyes contain specialized cells called cones that are only able to detect certain wavelengths of light. Other animals, such as bees and birds, may be able to see different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum depending on the structure of their eyes.

3. What would the night sky look like if we could see the entire electromagnetic spectrum?

If we were able to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum, the night sky would look very different. We would be able to see a much wider range of colors, including infrared and ultraviolet light. We would also be able to see objects that are currently invisible to us, such as radio waves emitted by stars and galaxies, and X-rays emitted by black holes and other high-energy objects.

4. Would being able to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum affect our daily lives?

Yes, being able to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum would have a significant impact on our daily lives. We would be able to see things that are currently invisible, which could potentially improve our understanding of the world around us. However, it could also be overwhelming and potentially harmful if we were exposed to high levels of radiation from the different types of electromagnetic waves.

5. Is it possible for humans to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum?

No, it is not possible for humans to see the entire electromagnetic spectrum. Our eyes are limited in their ability to detect different types of radiation, and even if we were able to enhance our vision, it would still be impossible to see all wavelengths of electromagnetic energy. However, with the help of technology and specialized instruments, scientists are able to study and visualize the entire electromagnetic spectrum.