What would this term correspond to? Inverse metric of connection.

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the term ##\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right>## in the formula for the projection of the Riemann tensor. The term can be rewritten as ##\left<X'\cdot \nabla'_{Y''}, Z' \cdot \nabla' V''\right>##, and while it may not look exactly like a projection of terms corresponding to the Riemann tensor, it provides insight in understanding the concept.
center o bass
Suppose we are given two projection operators H' and H'' such that H' + H'' = 1, i.e. that any vector can be written as V = V' + V'' = (H' + H'') V.
In a formula for a projection of the Riemann tensor (see the thread "Projection of the Riemann tensor formula") I encountered the term

$$\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right>$$

where ##B'(Y'',X'') = - \nabla'_{Y''}X''## and ##\left<\alpha, \beta\right> = g^{-1}(\alpha,\beta)## stands for the scalar product between the two one-forms ##\alpha = X'\cdot B'(Y'',.)## and ##\beta = Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')##, with ##g^{-1}## the inverse metric. I would like to translate this to something more recognizable (possibly something that looks like projection of terms corresponding to the Riemann tensor), but I'm stuck. I would guess that we would have that the term also can be written as

$$\left<X'\cdot \nabla'_{Y''}, Z' \cdot \nabla' V''\right>$$

but I do not see where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. The projection of the Riemann tensor is an important concept in differential geometry and it can be quite tricky to understand at first. However, I believe I can provide some insight that may help you in your translation.

First, let's break down the term in question. We have the vector ##X'## acting on the one-form ##B'(Y'',.)##, which is equivalent to taking the inner product between the two. This gives us a scalar value. Then, we have the vector ##Z'## acting on the one-form ##B'(.,V'')##, which again gives us a scalar value. Finally, we take the inner product between these two scalar values, giving us the term ##\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right>##.

Now, let's look at the term ##-\nabla'_{Y''}X''##. This is the covariant derivative of the vector ##X''## with respect to the vector ##Y''##. This can also be written as the inner product between the two, but with a minus sign in front. So, we have ##-\nabla'_{Y''}X'' = -\left<Y'', X''\right>##.

Putting this all together, we can rewrite the original term as ##\left<X'\cdot B'(Y'',.), Z' \cdot B'(.,V'')\right> = \left<X'\cdot \nabla'_{Y''}, Z' \cdot \nabla' V''\right>##.

This may not look exactly like a projection of terms corresponding to the Riemann tensor, but it is a step in the right direction. Keep in mind that the Riemann tensor is a four-index object, so it may not be possible to fully simplify this term into something that looks like a projection of the Riemann tensor. However, I hope this helps in your translation and understanding of the projection of the Riemann tensor.

Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the inverse metric of a connection?

The inverse metric of a connection is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the relationship between a metric and a connection. It is a tensor that allows us to convert between the components of a metric and the components of a connection.

2. How is the inverse metric of a connection calculated?

The inverse metric of a connection can be calculated by taking the inverse of the metric tensor and then applying a mathematical operation known as "raising indices." This operation involves multiplying the inverse metric tensor with the components of the connection to obtain the components of the inverse metric of the connection.

3. What is the significance of the inverse metric of a connection?

The inverse metric of a connection is important because it allows us to define the covariant derivative, a mathematical operation used to describe how geometric objects change as we move through space. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How does the inverse metric of a connection relate to curvature?

The inverse metric of a connection is closely related to the curvature of a space. In fact, the curvature of a space can be calculated using the components of the inverse metric of a connection. This is because the inverse metric of a connection contains information about how the space is curved.

5. Can the inverse metric of a connection be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the concept of the inverse metric of a connection is used not only in differential geometry but also in other areas of science such as physics and engineering. It is a fundamental tool for describing and understanding the geometry of curved spaces and plays a crucial role in many mathematical models and theories.