What Are the Ethical Considerations for Dealing with Captured Dictators?

• Thread starter gimpy
  • Start date
In summary: TV, and listen to music.In summary, Jeremy thinks that Saddam should be kept in a maximum security prison, but with some restrictions. He thinks that torture should be avoided, and that he should be given to the relatives of victims as a form of punishment. Adam thinks that Saddam should be hanged, shot, or burned.
gimpy
Ok I am sure everybody has herd the news about Saddams capture. He was found in a hole like a dirty rat. Anyways, let's here what you guys think about what we should do with him now since he is captured.

Physics news on Phys.org
No torture. He should be forced to live a miserable existence in a maximum security prison. Force him to live in a concrete cell with nothing except the floors, walls, and a bucket - in complete solitude. Make the cell dark, loud (abusive music), and cold. Keep him healthy, feed him vitamins, bread, and water, try to find out if he is scared of anything and then exploit it. Maybe after a few years of misery, hang him. Some of you may think this is too much others may think of this as being too little - this is my opinion.

Jeremy

No torture? Why not subject him to the same physical and mental torment that he put so many allied prisoners through? But i suppose that would make us as bad as him, so mite as well let him rot in prison for the rest of his live.

I guess one bad thing about him being in prison is that the Iraqi people may feel that as along as he is still alive they will not escape his wrath.

I saw a thing on A&E last spring about how crazy saddam is and they interviewed a man who was held for torture under saddam. He said that the guards did all the regular torture things, starving, beating, intimidating, isolating etc. the regular stuff that most every savage dictator does. Then he started talking about a particularly horrible instance. The guards had a hose with many spikes facing down, kind of like the stem of a rose. They shoved it up his ass like this diagram shows.

0 <-anus
/\
/\ <-spikes
/\
/\
/\
As you can imagine, this would hurt alot, but the spikes didn't actull tear into him, just kinda ripped him up a bit. However, when they pulled it out, the spikes ripped into the inner lining of his rectum and completely pulled it out of his butt hole.

The guy had his rectum pulled out of his butt hole.

I think that'd be interesting to do to saddam.

Send him before the International Criminal Court. Oh wait, the USA refused to have anything to do with international law and order. :P

So no international court. USA courts perhaps? Like Camp X-Ray? We know there is no real legal system at all there. Those people haven't even been charged.

Screw it. Just stand him against a wall, and give guns to the family members of people he has killed, and let them shoot him. They have more right to justice from Saddam than anyone else.

Originally posted by Adam

Screw it. Just stand him against a wall, and give guns to the family members of people he has killed, and let them shoot him. They have more right to justice from Saddam than anyone else.
I still think spiked-hose-sodomy would be more of a retribution than shooting him and killing him in a few seconds.

We could turn him into a dubanka, he who begs for the death that will not come.

Shoot him, then burn his body, and send the ashes into space...

Why allow yourself to be turned into the kind of pathetic sleaze who would torture a bound an unarmed man?

Just give him to the relatives of victims. Allow them the choice to become murderers if they wish.

Interesting ideas. Hahaha.

I would tie him up on a wall in like Bagdad or something and let all the people who hate him throw stuff or shoot him or burn him, whatever the hell they want to do.

Or make a reality TV show about him. The death of Saddam Hussain on live TV. Thats one reality show i would watch, because it would actually be real not like all the other crap on TV these days.

You people can be a little scary at times. I do hope you are not all being serious. All I will say is this, in Saddam we have a man who provokes strong emotional reactions. Let us hear what he has to say before we hand him over to the executioners. I would maybe like to hear what his opinion is of Ossa now that he has been overthrown and captured while Ossa remains free?

Nail "Em" Up

Bush and his father should be crucified on either side of Saddam (I'm being serious).

wasteofo2: I never heard about the spikes, I saw that guy talking, I must have misunderstood.

I think these are too harsh. Yes, that's right. I think he should be kept in a specially made one man maximum security prison for the rest of his life. They should come up with some sort of benefits program, so that his life is slightly less miserable if he tells us info that we can then prove is true, like were certain documents are hidden. Then again, I don't know that that would work, because he does seem to be clinically insane, in which case there is probably nothing you could do to get the info out of him. And that's even if he has any, who knows if 'they' kept him in the loop. Maybe 'they' just brought him food and water and moved him from one rat nest to the next, in hopes of reinstalling him later as a powerless figurehead. Who knows?

Didn't your heavenly father teach you that "revenge shall be his"? And "lend your right face to be hit when your enemy hit your left face"? And "pray for your enemies"?

Are you speaking specifically to me? Because here's my answer: That is what is supposed to happen on an individual level, and even then it gets you killed, but it is an honorable death and you would probably change the world being that way (Jesus, Martin King Jr, Gandhi). It is a gov't's job not to do that, it is to protect and serve, even if a bit unbiblical. What good does it do if an entire nation goes belly up? What good comes from an entire nation beating a dictatorship to death? I rest my case.

1. What evidence do you have against Saddam Hussein?

As a scientist, I do not personally have evidence against Saddam Hussein. However, there is significant evidence and testimonies from various sources such as international organizations, intelligence agencies, and witnesses that have been used in trials against him.

2. How would you ensure a fair trial for Saddam Hussein?

As a scientist, I believe in the importance of due process and a fair trial. To ensure this for Saddam Hussein, it is important to have an impartial and unbiased judge, a defense team to present evidence and arguments on his behalf, and a thorough examination of all evidence presented.

3. Do you believe Saddam Hussein should receive the death penalty?

As a scientist, I do not believe it is my place to have a personal opinion on the death penalty. However, it is important to recognize that the death penalty is a highly controversial and complex issue, and any decision should be made based on a fair and just legal process.

4. What would you do to prevent future dictators like Saddam Hussein?

As a scientist, it is not within my role to create policies or interventions to prevent future dictators. However, I believe that promoting democracy, human rights, and good governance can help prevent individuals from gaining too much power and becoming dictators.

5. How do you think the world will remember Saddam Hussein?

As a scientist, I cannot speak for how the world will remember Saddam Hussein. However, his actions and the impact he had on the lives of many will likely be a topic of debate and discussion for years to come.