Discrimination Against Disabled Man and His Son

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, a person on a bike witnessed a car full of young men shouting offensive comments at a middle-aged man and his disabled son who were walking together. The car drove off with the occupants laughing, leaving the father and son visibly hurt. The person on the bike was shocked and unsure of what to do in the situation.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went out for a bike ride today, and just as I was getting home I stopped at the traffic lights. There was a middle aged man walking along the pavement with his (obviously disabled) son, who was probably 20 odd or therabouts. The father was holding his son's hand, and they were walking slowly and obviously enjoying walking past parkland and deer in the spring evening sunshine.

Next to me (at the lights) a car pulled up, with 3 young men in. They wound down the window and one of them started shouting all sorts of offensive comments at the father; at first I think they thought the man and son were a homosexual couple (and based their insults around this) and when the dispairing father told this twat that his son was disabled, this dude in the car just carried on, making his comments even more offensive.

I was so shocked at what I'd just witnessed all I could do was look at this father who was clearly very hurt at what had just been said, while the car drove off with the other passengers laughing. No idea what I should (or could) have done but I hope that these utter twunts get what they deserve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, I growl, snarl and look really mean at people like those jerks. That's usually enough.

...and get your butt handed to you...

Astronuc said:
Usually, I growl, snarl and look really mean at people like those jerks. That's usually enough.

Usually? USUALLY?! I've never come across anything so disgraceful in my life!

Were you on a motorbike or bicycle?

:grumpy: ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr@ mean people..I'm with Astro on this one

brewnog said:
Usually? USUALLY?! I've never come across anything so disgraceful in my life!
Usually in that situation, I meant, but fortunately, I don't usually encounter that situation.

I have been in situations though. But fortunately such people back down, or run.

I think most of the time I get to level of :grumpy: , but I have gotten to level of :mad: , and once to :devil: (tasmanian kind), which I don't like to be. It gets very unpleasant.

One possible action is to phone the police and tell them you just witnessed a road rage incident, and give them the license number of the car and the description of the occupants and their travel direction. Depending on how your local police treat road rage, and how busy they are at that moment, the fools in the car might get a stop and search. If they were acting that stupid, there's a good chance that the search would turn up something.

Why not just punch the guy in the face and drive off? He's not going to catch a motorcycle. No way...

Some people are just absolutely hateful, aren't they? :grumpy: Brewie, I'm not sure what you could have done that wouldn't have escalated it further, other than give them the finger (or is it two in the land of the Brits?) as they drove off. What can you really do other than chalk it up to complete ignorant rudeness on their part?

I think it's the V-sign in Britain:wink:

A nicely tossed grenade would do the trick.

There is only one thing i HATE worse than people being cruel to animals,
:mad: i detest such scum bags with all my heart, if i had my way they
would not have anything left to pee with after such attack.

moose said:
A nicely tossed grenade would do the trick.

Little ****s would deserve it.

I think the best thing to do in a situation like this would be to go up to the father and son after the cretins left and assure them that you found the behavior shocking, completely uncalled for, and probably criminal. The reason is that when something like this happens to me, I am thrown into wondering whether or not I somehow did something to deserve or, at least, invite the treatment. The first thing you really need when something shocking like that happens is assurance that the wrong is a wrong, and was undeserved. You recall how I reacted to the bicycletree woundpicking incident.

Likes Irol
brewnog said:
I went out for a bike ride today, and just as I was getting home I stopped at the traffic lights. There was a middle aged man walking along the pavement with his (obviously disabled) son, who was probably 20 odd or therabouts. The father was holding his son's hand, and they were walking slowly and obviously enjoying walking past parkland and deer in the spring evening sunshine.

Next to me (at the lights) a car pulled up, with 3 young men in. They wound down the window and one of them started shouting all sorts of offensive comments at the father; at first I think they thought the man and son were a homosexual couple (and based their insults around this) and when the dispairing father told this twat that his son was disabled, this dude in the car just carried on, making his comments even more offensive.

I was so shocked at what I'd just witnessed all I could do was look at this father who was clearly very hurt at what had just been said, while the car drove off with the other passengers laughing. No idea what I should (or could) have done but I hope that these utter twunts get what they deserve.

Thats sad. When I see stuff like that, I fell like crying. I usually just look at the hurt people and express concern and empathy by my kinesics. I just want to give them a hug, but that would be wierd.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Were you on a motorbike or bicycle?

It was a bicycle, hence me not punching the twunt in the face.

Don't think the Police would have done anything, it wasn't road rage and they weren't physically violent towards anyone, or creating a danger. Police are wank round here anyway.

I guess you can't do much in reality.. That seems like one of those things where after you wish you had done or said something, but really what would you do. Not worth getting your ass kicked or escalating the situation. Even if you did say somthing, they just might take it out on the father and son on the next circle around the block. What should happen in that situation is a car full of big guys next to them who jump out and smash their windows and faces.

Rant over.

Give the victims $10 and your kindness.

Personally, I would yell back at them. I'm not exactly worried about something getting started (one of the benefits of being "imposing" in stature). You do have to be a bit careful now a days because it seems that guys are doing stuff like this in order to start something. I would most definitely at least say something reassuring to the people that were being yelled at.

Last edited:
It would be so nice if all the citizens clubed together and boxed them in, then pinched all their wheel nuts, then strip them bol-- naked and give them
the option of wearing a tutu and walking home, after that my sugestions get
a bit extreme.

Well wooly, they were 3 guys in a white R plate Fiesta, so if you see them around then get your shotgun out.

brewnog said:
Well wooly, they were 3 guys in a white R plate Fiesta, so if you see them around then get your shotgun out.

Oh, pleeease, i would so much like to fill their asses with lead, verily i think
i could not reload fast enough, trouble is Mr plonk has pinched my gun :mad:
there is no sanity in this world, woolie should be allowed to pepper bad guys
butts, and plonk should pat me on the head rather than throw me in clinck.

wolram said:
Oh, pleeease, i would so much like to fill their asses with lead, verily i think
i could not reload fast enough, trouble is Mr plonk has pinched my gun :mad:
there is no sanity in this world, woolie should be allowed to pepper bad guys
butts, and plonk should pat me on the head rather than throw me in clinck.

You're damn right Mr Wool. He shouldn't be out trying to catch me doing 75 in a 70 zone in my Motorised Frog, he should be out beating the little buggers who threw rocks at me in my own back garden the other week then saying he can't do anything because they'd run away when he arrived.

I wouldn't mind but I'm a taxpayer now. Gits.

1. What is discrimination against disabled individuals?

Discrimination against disabled individuals is the unjust or prejudicial treatment of people with disabilities based on their disability. It can take many forms, such as exclusion, unequal treatment, or harassment, and can occur in various settings like education, employment, and public accommodations.

2. How are disabled individuals discriminated against?

Disabled individuals can face discrimination in many ways, including being denied employment opportunities, being paid less than their non-disabled counterparts, being denied access to public spaces or transportation, and facing barriers to education or healthcare. They may also experience harassment or unequal treatment based on their disability.

3. Is discrimination against disabled individuals illegal?

Yes, discrimination against disabled individuals is illegal in many countries. In the United States, it is prohibited by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which provides protections and accommodations for individuals with disabilities in various areas of public life.

4. What are some examples of discrimination against disabled individuals?

Examples of discrimination against disabled individuals can include not providing necessary accommodations for a disabled employee, not allowing a disabled individual to participate in a public event, or denying a disabled person access to a store or building due to lack of accessibility. It can also manifest in more subtle ways, such as making assumptions about a person's abilities based on their disability.

5. How can discrimination against disabled individuals be addressed?

One way to address discrimination against disabled individuals is through education and awareness. This can help promote understanding and acceptance of individuals with disabilities. Additionally, enforcing laws and regulations that protect the rights of disabled individuals can help prevent and address instances of discrimination. Organizations and businesses can also take steps to make their spaces and services more accessible and inclusive for disabled individuals.