Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you do?

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What would you do if you found $10,000 in cash inside a box of crackers?

Back in the old days, I wouldn't blink, I'd try to find out who it belonged to. Now, I'd probably keep it and wait to see if it was reported in the news. If not...jackpot!

Have I become a terrible person?

Whole Foods put an open returned box of crackers back on the shelf for resale? :eek: A mistake...right...

And that woman neither thanked these people or gave them a reward? How ungrateful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cracker_box_money

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

berkeman

I'd turn it in to the police, with a receipt to get it back it it weren't claimed. I think they have some standard procedure for that.

Story sounds a bit fishy, though. Have you filtered it through snopes.com already?

4. Dec 27, 2008 #3

Evo

It's the Associated Press, so no, I assume it's valid.

5. Dec 27, 2008 #4

berkeman

Pretty shady source... :wink: I checked Snopes.com, and no hit. I also tried to google to find out what the standard practice was with PDs about accepting found valuables and the reclaim procedure, and was not able to find anything useful. Weird.

6. Dec 27, 2008 #5
    i'd probably convince myself it was drug money and keep it. i suspect if i handed it to the police, they'd do the same and not return it to me if an owner was not located.

7. Dec 27, 2008 #6
    If I find money its mine. If someone gives me the wrong change I return it. If I find money while I know someone else is looking for it I'll return it.

8. Dec 27, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to try to return it, else give it to charity. Must admit, I'd have a pretty good time giving it away.

9. Dec 27, 2008 #8
    I would definitely keep it, buy myself a few nice and expensive books, a new laptop, etc. And I would definitely NOT waste my time to find out who it belongs to. Now I know what you guys are going to say, that that person might be in terrible need of the money and could be poor and hungry for the rest of his/her life, etc. Now, there are billions of people that are poor and hungry all over the world, and yet you don't give away 10,000 dollars to them every day... not even in your lifetime, none of you would probably ever donate so much to charities. So this morale is half-baked. If you truly want to put the $10,000 to good use, don't give it back to the fool that lost it, but donate it to the Red Cross or other organization that truly helps people. That's what I have to say for morale, but I personally would keep it :P

10. Dec 27, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I learned my lesson the hard way when I was a kid about 14 or so. I found a really nice Rolex beside the path in a national park, and turned it in to the warden with the understanding that I could reclaim it if the owner didn't show up. Sure enough, when I checked a month later the owner hadn't shown up... but the watch had somehow disappeared.

The next time that I found something valuable (other than money that fell out of people's pockets in the bar, who were easy to track down) was a couple of years ago. There was a nice diamond man's ring lying on the sidewalk on my way to work. I put an ad in both local papers and on bulletin boards around town with the stipulation that the owner had to describe it properly in order to reclaim it. I got only one call, and that was legitimate... but it was for a different ring, not even close to the one that I found. I still have it.

11. Dec 27, 2008 #10
    I would have an ad company pay me to put their ad on my T-shirt while I go on national news to turn the money in.

12. Dec 27, 2008 #11
    They don't give you all those things in jail Crazy Tosser.

Its called larceny, and they will throw your *** into jail for it too, and rightfully so. It basically amounts to stealing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  13. Dec 27, 2008 #12
    It is absolutley stupid. MORONICALLY STUPID to keep the money. If that money was from a robbery, you are spending STOLEN MONEY. Which has a serial number, and will leave a nice trail BACK TO YOU!

Oh officer, I just found $10k in a cereal box and decided to spend it myself. I sware. Mmmm hmmm. So as you can see your honor, the defendant claims to have 'found' $10k in a box, and just decided to spend it on themselves. And for exhibit B, there's a bridge I'd like to sell you your honor. Prime location in NYC.

For all you know, that money could belong to a gang or the mafia. If they find out your spending their money that got lost, you're dead.

There are no good possible outcomes as a result of keeping it for yourself.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  14. Dec 27, 2008 #13
    I can't imagine keeping a persons life savings. But I also can't imagine a open, returned box of crackers being resold.

15. Dec 27, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now that's using the old bean!:approve:

16. Dec 27, 2008 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

17. Dec 28, 2008 #16
    If you go through life this paranoid you couldn't enjoy the $10,000 anyway. As far as no good possible outcomes resulting from keeping it for yourself. I can think of one: You get $10,000.

18. Dec 28, 2008 #17
    would you take the money?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  19. Dec 28, 2008 #18
    Ahahaha that's classic.

Ten grand is a LOT of money, so the amount might make me think twice about keeping it. A hundred, two hundred... five hundred? Yeah I'd probably keep it without a second thought. Not ten thousand dollars... there are only a few circumstances where that much cash money is together at one time and it would make me too nervous. I'd probably take it to the cops and make sure I could get it back if no one claims it providing that's even possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Dec 28, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd try and return it.

21. Dec 28, 2008 #20
    Oh Evo..................

This would be a delightfuly convo to have with Mr. Clean on your gumbo recipe date! :!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?