What Would You Do?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
BobG, we were only talking about making a phone call.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
And, presumably, people enjoying a leisurely afternoon in the park aren't particularly pressed with urgent timelines.

But it is a consideration for some situations. Imagine you were driving to work and a woman was lying injured in the road. Stopping to help her would make you late for work.

Woman left injured in busy road

I guess people should at least be commended for swerving around her even when they had somewhere important to go. Kind of reminds me ambulances trying to make it through morning rush hour traffic. A lot of people cut their time so close they can't afford to lose their left turn arrow just because an ambulance is coming through the intersection.

Time is pretty important to some people. (On the other hand, stories like this make me think humanity might be doomed.)

Last edited:
An injured person is a vastly different circumstance from a crime being committed. As someone who is considering whether or not to render aid beyond calling 911, you have to have some idea of how to help and not hurt the person. If you're certified, then the moment you begin to administer care you MUST continue until someone of equal or greater qualifications takes over. It sounds silly, but people save a life with CPR, then get sued because in the rush of adrenaline they over-exert and crack a rib.

Personally, I'd render aid if I felt that I could help and I had means to protect myself from blood borne pathogens.

You see, none of those considerations arise with a thief... they're worlds apart.

He's gone in a different direction than I have, my main point is I don't see the benefit in making the phone call. I haven't seen any statistics to back this up, but I'd imagine very few bike thefts are actually solved.

I also draw the line between a property crime and a human in trouble. I'm MUCH more likely to help a human in physical trouble than a human about to lose some property.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What's the benefit to calling the police after turning a corner? They're not going to get there in time to stop the crime, and there's really not enough evidence to track the criminal down.
How do you know this? There may be a cop driving right by the park entrance when you call. And you can be making that call within 30 seconds of passing the bike-thief.

I'd have to wait for the police to get there and then give a witness statement.
No, you don't have to.

In this scenario, I assume I have something better to do than waste an hour of my time with police when they won't solve the crime anyway.
I've done something similar - it took me less than 3 minutes to make the call, describe the location and give a description - all while I was walking (so it didn't waste my time). And that was the end of it. I didn't, however, stick around to find out what happened, so have no idea if anything did.

Last edited:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The only risk is misinterpreting the situation and feeling like a fool for calling the police.
Couple of years ago, I saw a very distraught lady crying quite hysterically that her baby was locked in a building that she couldn't get inside of. This was a university building and it was a Saturday - you could not open the doors unless you belonged to that department and had a key, but neither she nor I did. After trying to talk to her and finding her mostly incoherent and somewhat abusive (she was yelling at me for not being able to open locked doors) but also very possibly high, I called the cops. Within the next 5 minutes there were maybe 4 police cars there (city PD + university PD). After attempting to talk to her they too decided it was prudent to try and get in the building as soon as possible. Nothing came from their search - turned out the lady was just going through a nasty trip.

Did I feel like a fool? Not a bit. Should I have?

And, presumably, people enjoying a leisurely afternoon in the park aren't particularly pressed with urgent timelines.

But it is a consideration for some situations. Imagine you were driving to work and a woman was lying injured in the road. Stopping to help her would make you late for work.

Woman left injured in busy road

I guess people should at least be commended for swerving around her even when they had somewhere important to go. Kind of reminds me ambulances trying to make it through morning rush hour traffic. A lot of people cut their time so close they can't afford to lose their left turn arrow just because an ambulance is coming through the intersection.

Time is pretty important to some people. (On the other hand, stories like this make me think humanity might be doomed.)
We were talking about making a phone call to the police to report a bike theft. It's a specific situation that you're broadening into examples that have nothing to do with what we were arguing about.

Last edited: