What to Do if Someone Doesn't Understand After an Hour

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, a teacher should be patient and come up with a different way of explaining things if someone didn't understand the first time.

What would you do in this situation?

• Total voters
Lisa!
Gold Member
What would you do if you spent a long time, say 1 hour, to explain sth to someone and s/he suddenly asked you a very silly question which meant that s/he didn't get anything of what you said?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've worked as a assistant teacher and teacher a lot.
I explain it again..:cry:

Really? So do you change your method for the second time or perhaps more than 2,3,4,.. times :cry: ? :grumpy:

I would give up and do something better.

EL said:
I would give up and do something better.
And if you'd have to explain it again? For example when you need money or you're a teacher and you need that person to understand you?

Lisa! said:
Really? So do you change your method for the second time?
That depends.
However, I've never experienced this in a one-to-one teaching situation, since then most of the teaching can also be a probing of the student's understanding. (Problems will appear a lot sooner).
Hence, the times I've experienced this, is basically at the end of lecture-like sessions with many students, when someone approaches me afterwards and reveals that she hasn't understood a thing. As best as I could, I would then try to home in a few lessons before departing, and then perhaps at the next session comment on the particular problems this student had (without mentioning name), in so far as I believe there will be others who are equally lacking in understanding, but didn't have the courage to ask me up front.

arildno said:
That depends.
However, I've never experienced this in a one-to-one teaching situation, since then most of the teaching can also be a probing of the student's understanding. (Problems will appear a lot sooner).
Hence, the times I've experienced this, is basically at the end of lecture-like sessions with many students, when someone approaches me afterwards and reveals that she hasn't understood a thing. As best as I could, I would then try to home in a few lessons before departing, and then perhaps at the next session comment on the particular problems this student had (without mentioning name), in so far as I believe there will be others who are equally lacking in understanding, but didn't have the courage to ask me up front.
Well I usualy had to teach some of my classmates or my cousin :grumpy: . Believe it or not they didn't understand the lesson till I changed my tone or words. For example I told them "If you're clever enough , you should learn it this time" or some words like that.
In fact I should look angry and raise my voice if I want others to understand me even in friendly conversations. :devil: :blushing:

By the way, why do you say "she hasn't understood" ?

I switch between using he or she as the 3 person pronoun.
There's nothing more to it than that.

I thought you wanted to say women misunderstand you more than men or perhaps all your students are female!:cry:

Lisa! said:
I thought you wanted to say women misunderstand you more than men or perhaps all your students are female!:cry:
No; I've never experienced that women misunderstand me more often than men.

arildno said:
No; I've never experienced that women misunderstand me more often than men.

Anyway I think a teacher really needs to be patient, and it means I can't be a teacher :cry: because I hate explaining everything more than 1 time.

Lisa! said:
Anyway I think a teacher really needs to be patient, and it means I can't be a teacher :cry: because I hate explaining everything more than 1 time.

Even more important than just explaining it again is to come up with a different way of explaining it. Just being repetitive doesn't help if someone hasn't understood a thing. Sometimes the way you learned something isn't the way someone else needs to learn something, so a good teacher has to be able to think of many ways of looking at a problem and using those to teach to the students who didn't understand the first time. Experience helps there too, because the more students you have had who can relate their way of learning something to you, the more variety you have in your toolkit.

But, yeah, if you don't have the patience to explain something more than once, teaching probably isn't a career you should consider. There's no reason to cry over it. Knowing what you like and don't like is very helpful when making career choices and will keep you from wasting time on something you'll end up disliking or even hating.

Lisa! said:
And if you'd have to explain it again? For example when you need money or you're a teacher and you need that person to understand you?

Probably continue with the explanation the next day or so.

Lisa! said:
What would you do if you spent a long time, say 1 hour, to explain sth to someone and s/he suddenly asked you a very silly question which meant that s/he didn't get anything of what you said?

Explain it again, only snd time use the mechanical method, jeez 1hr how can
anyone be so patient

Teaching is communication...
there is the idea that sits between the teacher and the student...
as a teacher, one is offering to help...
as a student, one is seeking help...
neither student nor teacher has success all alone...
if one fails, the other has failed

as the teacher, you can be like a mechanic to the machine and diagnose the issue...
ask them about what they understand and what they do not... then try to help them make adjustments toward understanding.

1. What are some common reasons why someone might not understand after an hour?

There are several potential reasons why someone may not understand after an hour. Some common reasons include a lack of prior knowledge or background information, difficulty grasping the concept or material, distractions or interruptions, or a mismatch between the person's learning style and the teaching method being used.

2. What steps can I take to help someone understand after an hour?

One approach is to try breaking down the information into smaller, more manageable chunks and providing frequent opportunities for the person to ask questions or clarify their understanding. You can also try using different teaching methods or techniques, such as visual aids or hands-on activities, to reinforce the material.

3. How can I assess if someone has understood the material after an hour?

One way to assess understanding is to ask the person to summarize the information in their own words or to complete a short quiz or activity related to the material. You can also observe their body language and engagement during the hour-long session to gauge their level of comprehension.

4. What if someone still doesn't understand after an hour?

If someone is still struggling to understand after an hour, it may be helpful to take a break and revisit the material at a later time. You can also offer additional resources, such as reading materials or online tutorials, for the person to review on their own. It may also be beneficial to seek out a different perspective or explanation from another source.

5. How can I prevent someone from not understanding after an hour in the future?

To prevent someone from not understanding after an hour in the future, it is important to identify and address any underlying issues that may be hindering their understanding. This could include offering additional support or resources, adjusting the teaching method or pace, or providing opportunities for the person to practice and apply the information in different contexts.