Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you want freed given $100m?

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    What would you want "freed" given $100m?

From Slashdot...

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2006-October/045481.html

I'm all for scientific journals and textbooks. :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2
    well i think it might depend on the textbooks... journals would be good though because they're usually pretty expensive. how about the collected works of every "major" (whatever that means) scientist also.

edit: not only that, how about the collected works of every major composer, author/novelist, playwright, philosopher, historian, engineer.... everything that's known about medicine, finance, economics, art history....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    Patents on life saving drugs for killer diseases.

5. Oct 30, 2006 #4
    the slashdot thing said specific things, so off the top of my head right now I can only think of a couple things. how about random house's everyman's library
    http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/about.html
    and van nostrand's whole university series in higher mathematics (containing classics such as loomis' abstract harmonic analysis, kelley's general topology & gillman/jerison's rings of continuous functions)
    i guess there are many other additions to make but those are two classic series imho. i guess if the publishing rights for one series can be listed why not springer-verlag's graduate & undergraduate texts in mathematics also? & why not the whole penguin classics catalog also?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?