Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would your question be?

1. Aug 16, 2004 #1

What would you ask an Oracle?

And why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2004 #2
    You mean aside from the winning lottery numbers?;)

1.What is the highest form of existence, and can you describe it?

2. Is the universe infinite or is a part of a greater whole?

3. Explain women

Nuff said
  4. Aug 16, 2004 #3
    How do you predict the future.
  5. Aug 16, 2004 #4
    Drugs, and vagueness.

There was an article on the Oracle at Delphi in Scientific American a while back.
  6. Aug 17, 2004 #5
    I'm just dying to know... has intelligent life anywhere in our physical universe survived self destruction and made it into the stars?
  7. Aug 18, 2004 #6
    Mazuz, why would you want to go to other stars?
  8. Aug 18, 2004 #7
    if I could ever be a time traveller and influence events. :devil:
  9. Aug 19, 2004 #8
    What is my favorite color? Because I honestly do not know for I find beauty in all differnt colors.

But i don't think that is the type of question you can ask an oracle but it would still be interesting for a reply because i couldn't care less of what is about to happen.
  10. Aug 19, 2004 #9
    Why do we ask so many questions? Why can't we just know the answers?
  11. Aug 22, 2004 #10
    "Are you officially licensed and accredited to give psychic readings to the public in this state?"

"Can I stack the deck?"

"Why do you keep looking in that little booklet before you tell me what the cards mean?"

"Am I supposed to tip you guys or what?"
  12. Aug 23, 2004 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Was Spinoza right?
  13. Aug 23, 2004 #12
    If I have one and only one question then I'd ask if my Leukemia will come back. If I have more than one then I'd ask the followikng:
    1) Does God exist?
    2) Does heaven exist?
    3) Will I go to heaven when I die?
    4) What happens when you die?
    5) Why did my uncle get Leukemia?
    6) Why did I get Leukemia?
    7) Why did I get the same exact kind of Leukemia as my uncle?
    8) Will the Leukemia come back?
    9) Why did I get a herniated disk when I tried to return to work after the Leukemia was gone?
    10) Why did one of my best friends die of Hodgkins disease?
    11) Why did my friends child die after a year and a half of life?
    12) What are the numbers for the next power ball lottery which has a massive payoff? :biggrin:
    I think the reasons for the above are obvious.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  14. Aug 23, 2004 #13
    What is it that I don't want to know about my future?
    That is assuming this isn't entirely a crackpot art still around.
  15. Aug 24, 2004 #14
    ....And then what?
  16. Aug 24, 2004 #15
    Take my word for it. You may not want to know what the future holds. If its horrible enough then you have to live with that and wait for it to happen. Why bother? I'm certainly glad I didn't know I was going to get cancer. Knowing that'd freak me out until I got it.

17. Aug 24, 2004 #16
    It wouldn't be horrible to know the future if you had the right attitude. If you knew when and where you'd die, you could live the rest of your life knowing that until the time and place nothing could kill you.
  18. Aug 24, 2004 #17
    Sorry...as far as my question... assuming one question and the answer was guaranteed to be accurate I would ask:

"What do I need to do to maximize my life long happiness"

This covers everything. If riches would ultimately make me happy, I'd learn the road to that. If health is what would acheive it, I'd know how to fix it. Also, since the death of a loved one would likely cause me great pain, knowing how to prevent it might be what was needed.
  19. Aug 24, 2004 #18
    Almost sounds good in theory. I doubt anybody would think that in practice. Especially if they knew that in 5 years they'd get a horrible disease and suffer horribly for a long time. Personally I'd hate to live knowing that.

20. Aug 24, 2004 #19
    Where did I leave my keys
  21. Aug 29, 2004 #20
    If you knew you were going to die of a stroke in the old folks home, you could live the rest of your life extra reckless, indestructible until then, right? Since it must be impossible to change your future, you could chug a gallon of anti-freeze while skinny-dipping in a volcano. Think of all the bar bets you could win!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?