Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What your purpose in life?

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    I suddenly realize that my life has no purpose. Is this how slackers feel because now I don't feel motivated to anything since it will lead me nowhere.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suicidal or depressed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you life won't have a purpose until you give it one, IMO.

How old are you?

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    25. From an evolutionary point of view, I guess my purpose in life is to make babies. I'm not married though.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, our reptile brains want us to breed like rabbits.

But as far as life's purpose, well, I think our grey matter has more say in that decision :smile:.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #5
    I'll have to think about that for a while. The purpose of all life is to eat, reproduce and be eaten. Humans have the added need to avoid boredom and this provides most with a purpose.

7. Mar 2, 2009 #6
    Why does there have to be a purpose?

Well, from an evolutionary point of view, the gray matter inside the head developed into a one giant pattern finding system. Humans continually seek patterns and try to make sense of them, even if the conception is irrational.

8. Mar 2, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't worry - be happy.

and

Don't Panic.

"The basic business of one's life is to have a wonderfully good time." source: Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Don't forget your towel.

9. Mar 2, 2009 #8
    We have a nihilist in the making, here. :P

All jokes aside, I understand how huge of point in your life this is. I'm actually younger than you (24) but have gone through what you've just begun. In some ways, that point in my life still lingers, mostly in memory, but sometimes it manifests in some form or another.

What helped me? Someone recommended a book named "The Virtue of Selfishness" to me. It's a book by Ayn Rand that many here will likely be familiar with. I've probably guaranteed myself a few pages of criticism by even alluding to the Objectivist philosophy, but I really would like to emphasize the importance if it. While you may not agree with everything she has to say, Rand's ideas are very affecting, if not just incredibly important. Don't be confused by the the title of the book, either. It's probably not what you're thinking.

If you're interested in it, shoot be a PM and I can give you a hand on where to begin. You may have read either "The Fountainhead" or "Atlas Shrugged". If you liked them, I'd be more than happy to help you expand on the philosophy the books fictionalize.

10. Mar 2, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wanna make a bet?

1). Go do something that you've never done before [you don't have to feel like it].
    2). Figure out what is important or appealing to you and pursue it [doesn't have to be important, and you don't have to feel like it]
    3). Change your attitude by force of will

11. Mar 2, 2009 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

david90 is expressing an experience with acedia more than depression.

12. Mar 2, 2009 #11
    After reading the wikipdia, I think I have that too. Does acedia need clinical treatment? or just reading some inspirational books would be enough?

13. Mar 2, 2009 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could be wrong, but I think the latter has no impact on the former. :tongue:

14. Mar 2, 2009 #13
    Welcome to my clinic.

You have acedia? Terrible, just terrible. I think I have just the thing for you. I'm going to prescribe that you force yourself to try something new, maybe something you've always found interesting. Also, I'd like you to go out with friends, regardless of how much you'd like to stay home and be anti-social.

Take two and call me in the morning.

15. Mar 2, 2009 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

David, didn't you have a lot of plans to go into business for yourself? If those did not pan out, don't give up.

16. Mar 2, 2009 #15
    "We don't know". I think that's the answer you're looking for. I'm not sure any more needs to be said. There's no great answer that I know of that says you have to have a purpose. If you don't feel motivated, I guess you don't feel motivated. I'm not going to give you any sugar-coated crap about cheering up and how wonderful everything is and how much purpose there really is if you look underneath it all because that would just be opinion.

If you need cheering up, that's a different request. But for purpose, no one here can give you a correct answer.

17. Mar 2, 2009 #16
    My purpose in life is what life's purpose is in me.

18. Mar 2, 2009 #17
    I Don't let go of life even when I have multiple chances to do so.

19. Mar 2, 2009 #18
    I'm not looking for any cheering up. It is what it is. My current teacher told me that he's not a pessimist or an optimist, but instead a realist. It is a great mindset and I adopted it.

Maybe it's just a phase.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  20. Mar 3, 2009 #19
    I like to call this "pragmatic." I think it's a good thing.

But remember: Chance and probability even will sometimes swing good things your way... and while you don't think your actions have larger purpose, they can perhaps increase the probability of good things coming your way.

21. Mar 3, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds more like fortune-telling than pragmatism. Pragmatism tells me that one person, and sometimes the least likely, can change the world.

Case in point: A black guy named Hussein...

However, if you are just using this as an excuse because you don't care about anything, that is another matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook