What your purpose in life?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
I'd disagree too about having children but that's just my opinion. If our purpose is to take our code and hand it down to more generations, then taking different forms of code which are handed down, such as information, all that we learn, is essentially the same.

Our verbal codes are handed down, written codes, etc. We take information or energy and exchange them. At the root, that seems to be going on with everything in the universe. Energy being converted. We're all converting energy, or information (form of energy) and exchanging it, handing it to other people or things. The universe seems one big energetic daisy chain. Now what is the end of all this energy, the culmination, or the beginning, we just don't know. All this seems to lead to nowhere we know of and came from nowhere we can be sure of.

If you feel you have to find motivation to keep going, to me, it's nothing wrong with it. And if you don't feel motivated and want to end your life, I don't see anything wrong with it either. Of course, most people fear this view because truth is human-centric. It would be a view deemed disadvantageous for survival. The DNA code, you, couldn't be transferred anymore if you maintain negative views. If you want to think with reason, this tells me that. If I want to think with emotion, I'd say find motivation and try to stick it out. I think reason tells me my emotional side is just as valid and valuable as my logical side.

I think we all try to listen to our logical side here a lot and try to oversaturate ourselves with it to make it harder to listen to our emotional side. I try to downplay my emotional side a lot but I do realize that, although it's a primitive instinct, it came from somewhere valid just as well.

I see all opinions as realist, or deserving of validation that it's purveying a real view. If you view the purpose to have children, that's all fine and valid to me, I just disagree in that it's too specific to be universally true.

turbo
Gold Member
I suddenly realize that my life has no purpose. Is this how slackers feel because now I don't feel motivated to anything since it will lead me nowhere.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suicidal or depressed.
Go to the library and check out a book. I recommend "Be Here Now" by Baba Ram Dass. Self-realization is an effective cure for nihilism and helplessness. You won't feel so alone and helpless once you internalize your responsibility for yourself and accept your potentials as well as your shortcomings. It's a great book. I have bought several copies and still don't have a permanent one in my library because I give them away to others who might benefit from reading it, and encourage them to pass it on instead of returning it.

My purpose in life is to live. And that's what I plan on doing.

Spontaneity and Self-recklessness. It makes for good memories and no regrets.

Don't hold back either. But have the patient to let bigger things develop.

That's a nice video of Feynman!

Anyway, I'm 20 and have been wondering about this question all my life. But in the end, it never gets me anywhere. I wondered if I really like physics, I wondered if going into the academia is really meaningful, I wondered if I'd be happier to just leave everything and start from scratch... I wondered... but when I take a better look, I realize that life goes on, whether I know the answer or not. Come to think of it, perhaps my life already has a meaning. It's just that my insatiable brain doesn't know how to appreciate it, and perhaps, doesn't want to accept the most obvious answer there is.

Just keep doing what you do, but perhaps find some time to appreciate things you've already done. If you feel a warm sensation in your head, after thinking about how far you've come, and how much you've experienced after all these years...perhaps you are already doing what one would consider "meaningful".

What is my(our) purpose?

It's to survive this POS world and die painlessly (natural death). And this means:

- Academic Success to open up the availability of secure jobs/careers. Satisfy the need for food and shelter.
- All else is less; as you can pay for hookers.... nah just kidding. Satisfy the biological needs.
- At worst case scenario, put a bullet in your head to skip the 60 year "grind".
- The rest requires 4000 years of human evolution in the consciousness.

Einstein still has it right... "ignorance is bliss" Be ignorant of your miserable existance, and play Dungeons and Dragons all day, or shoot cocaine.

The purpose of life is to find a way to be slightly less miserable than you were before. Eventually you give up and die. The end.

There is always this conversation that I'll cherish forever.

Lucy van Pelt: "Why are we on Earth?"

Charley Brown: "Geeh, dunno.........perhaps to make somebody else happy"

Lucy van Pelt: "happy? Happy? I'm not happy" - crying- "Somebody is not doing his job".

I always liked Dennis Leary's view on happiness

Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette, or a chocolate cookie, or a five second orgasm. That's it, ok! You cum, you eat the cookie, you smoke the butt, you go to sleep, you get up in the morning and go to ****ing work, ok!? That is it! End of ****ing list!

turbo
Gold Member
I always liked Dennis Leary's view on happiness
When I read the part of the quote about "small doses", I conflated Dennis with Timothy. :rofl:

It seems dissatisfaction is the precursor to curiosity. Do we ask ourselves when we're having a good time with our significant other, 'why am I doing this'? Likely not, though you've probably asked yourself at work the same question. It seems intelligence, an intellectual sensitivity, can go hand in hand with dissatisfaction. But it's not the only one; there's plenty of factors.

If just being satisfied is being successful, then maybe we should strive to be as animals. To be content just fulfilling our basic needs instead of our insatiable need for intellectual stimulation. So if you view the purpose as just to be content, then maybe we need to rethink that view because the other animals seem to do it just as well, maybe better. Maybe we're an accident, the thing that should not be. Who knows? You'd think I'd grow out of asking myself this but as I mentioned, I think dissatisfaction in life is making me question this so much.

I'm in the exact same position as the OP. There is no purpose to life. We are born- why? Why did we have to be this conscious being? There's no answer to that, no-one can answer that. What should we do here on earth? Well, the first thing to sort out is whether we should live or not (to be, or not to be etc.). Only then can we talk about purpose. I haven't figured out any of these things myself, but, since others are recommending books, I can recommend "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus.