I'm making a small-scale aquaponics system at home (except I'm not eating the fish). There might be some random chemicals that will probably leech into the water from the materials I used (plumbing parts degrading/oxidizing, etc.), or had directly added (I used household ammonia to begin the nitrogen cycle; I'm still waiting for the manufacturer to e-mail me back the MSDS for their product, or at least tell me straight up whether it is just pure ammonia diluted in water) The questions: 1. If the fish die from poisoning from unknown chemicals, and I have been eating from the plants being grown from the system, would the build-up in my body be negligible? 2. Would the plants' roots even transport the harmful chemicals present in the water into their leaves? I'm only particularly worried about the possible additives in the household ammonia. Although the label said it contained no phosphates and no fragrances. Apparently, if it contained surfactants, the container would fizz up if shaked. There was a tiny wee-bit of fizz that formed, but so miniscule compared to shaking other ammonia containing products which contained other additives. It might have just been air bubbles.