Math Needed to Study Physics of Loop QG, ST, QED/CD & GR

In summary, the math required for studying loop quantum gravity, string theory, quantum electro dynamics/chromodynamics, and general relativity on a basic level includes calculus, differential equations, complex numbers, and linear algebra. It would be beneficial to have a strong understanding of general relativity and quantum field theory as well. It is recommended to pick up elementary textbooks on each subject to determine the specific math needed. The foundation is calculus, and then differential equations.
greghouse
Hi! This is a question for the physicists. What types of math do I need to study the physics of ... let's say loop quantum gravity, string theory, quantum electro dynamics/ chromodynamics and general relativity on the basic level?

Tnx

Physics news on Phys.org
All of it.

Notice he's asking on a basic level. At least number theory is not required on a basic level.

My advice would be to pick up elementary textbooks on each of these subjects and skim through them to see what you need. In some cases, the math you need will be covered in the book itself.

For instance, check out Griffiths for particle physics, Zwiebach for string theory, for quantum field theory, I don't know what the most basic text is, for general relativity, there are many choices, two that come to mind are Carroll and Schutz. Loop quantum gravity is less popular a theory, so I doubt there is an elementary text about that. I suspect a strong understanding of general relativity and quantum field theory is required for even the most elementary study.

The foundation is calculus, and then differential equations.

greghouse said:
What types of math do I need

What math do you know already?

jtbell said:
What math do you know already?

It's hard to compare the swedish math education to the american. I don't know how much calculus I know for instance compared to what year of college/ high school in US. But derivatives, integrals, differential equation, complex numbers (don't know if what i read qualifies as complex analysis), very basic linear algebra, three-variable calculus... Stuff like that. I don't, for instance, know what rings and fields are.

1. What level of math is needed to study physics of Loop QG, ST, QED/CD, and GR?

The study of Loop Quantum Gravity, String Theory, Quantum Electrodynamics/Chromodynamics, and General Relativity requires a strong foundation in advanced mathematics. This includes knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. Additionally, a solid understanding of mathematical concepts such as tensors, group theory, and differential geometry is crucial.

2. How does math play a role in understanding these theories?

Math is the language of physics and is used to describe the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the universe. In the study of Loop QG, ST, QED/CD, and GR, math is used to formulate and solve equations that describe the dynamics of spacetime, particles, and fields. It allows us to make predictions and test the validity of these theories.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to study these theories?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for studying these theories. Without a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, it would be difficult to grasp the complex principles and equations involved. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can develop the necessary math skills to study these theories.

4. Are there any specific areas of math that are particularly important for studying these theories?

As mentioned before, concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are crucial for understanding these theories. In addition, knowledge of advanced topics such as topology, functional analysis, and Lie algebras can also be beneficial in studying these theories.

5. How can I improve my math skills to better understand these theories?

There are several ways to improve your math skills for studying these theories. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in the basics of calculus, algebra, and geometry. Then, you can supplement your learning by studying advanced topics such as differential geometry and group theory. You can also practice solving math problems related to these theories and seek guidance from a mentor or tutor. Consistent practice and dedication are key to improving your math skills for studying these theories.