Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's a circular integral?

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    If we designate the total or internal energy of an isolated or closed system as E, heat as Q and work as W , then the circular integral involving no change in net internal energy is:...

What is it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think that refers to a path integral- the integral is taken to be along a closed loop, rather than along a segment of a coordinate axis.
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

That's what it must be: integral around a closed path. I've never used the term "circular integral" myself, or seen it in any of my textbooks, but a Google search shows that it does appear in some thermodynamics books.
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4
    Yes, it was in a chapter about thermodynamics.

My mom said that it was a volume-based integral, or something like that, but it's still a little bit unclear (partially because I only know how to integrate in a straight line)

And here is what it looks like:

6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    A circular integral is the integration around a closed path or surface. For example, Gauss's law says that
    [tex]{\Phi} = \oint_S \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{A}
    = {1 \over \varepsilon_0} \int_V \rho\ \mathrm{d}V = \frac{Q_A}{\varepsilon_0}[/tex]
    where you're integrating around a closed surface (such as a sphere, or any other structure else where you can tell at every point whether you're inside or outside).
  7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As others have pointed out, that's usually called a closed path integral (if you are integrating along a line or path).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?