Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's a good Logic textbook?

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    I'm not squeezing this into my degree (Physics), but I'd like to buy a good Logic textbook online or whatever. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2
    I plan on making my way through Russells writings on the subject at some point. They may be outdated now, however.

4. May 31, 2009 #3
    Does that really matter in logic?

What other textbooks would you recommend?

5. May 31, 2009 #4
    To some extent, yes it does. While logical truth is constant human understanding of it is not. For example, anything written before Russell will not include the revisions he made. In fact Aristotlean logic was still popular well into the nineteenth century.

I am keyboard jockeying a little here as I've never recieved any formal training in logic, you're probably best off waiting until someone more knowledgable comes along to answer your question.

6. May 31, 2009 #5
    Heh. Yeah. I'm waiting for someone knowledgeable to chime in here.

7. Jun 1, 2009 #6
    What do you want to know about logic? Do you want to know various latin names for common argument forms? Do you want to learn a symbolic calculus for propositions and logical connectives? Do you want to learn about deep issues near the foundation of mathematics?

If want something substantial that covers a lot of ground in depth, then a reasonably heavyweight choice is Kleen 'Mathematical Logic.' If you just want to learn the propositional calculus and a fiew latin words, then just look at what textbook your local university uses for Symbolic logic or Reasoning courses. Choosing between these school books is like choosing an intro calculus book: just go with a cheap one.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #7
    This book?

https://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Logic-Stephen-Cole-Kleene/dp/0486425339

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Jun 3, 2009 #8
    Yeah, and for that price I would recommend it.

10. Jun 3, 2009 #9
    I'm trying to find a hardcover in very good condition.

11. Jun 3, 2009 #10
  12. Jun 4, 2009 #11
    What's the difference between the Mathematical and Philosophical Logic books? I know mathematical logic is a subset of philosophical logic.

13. Jun 21, 2009 #12
    From the MIT OpenCourseware page:
    Logic I
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-241Fall-2005/Readings/index.htm [Broken]

Logic II
    http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-242Spring-2004/LectureNotes/index.htm [Broken]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook