1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats a joule second?

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    I can easily picture joules per second (I just see light of varying intensities passing a point at varying rates) I don't know what a joule second is. I know that Plancks constant is just to use the frequency of the photon to find out its energy but what in the name of God is a joule second?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    It is the unit of action -- as in the least action principle.

It is also the unit of angular momentum -- cf. the Bohr atom.

4. Jul 9, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A joule in mechanical work is 1 N of force applied on an object to move it a distance of 1 m. So a joule persecond is doing the above action in one second.

Btw, a "joule per second" and a "joule second" are not the same thing. Jule per second is dividing by seconds, joule second would be multiplying by seconds.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4
    If i understood correctly you can consider this example:

you can boil 1 m^3 of water by transferring to it N*dE energy in a 1 second OR
    you can boil 1 m^3 of water by heating water N*dt time with 1 joule of energy

and thus we can define minimal action needed for 1 m^3 water to be boiled -
    N*dE*dt

As about Plank constant we can interpret it also like this:
    you can't transfer less energy than h in 1 second OR
    you can't transfer 1J of energy in less than h seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook