What's a non-eigenvalue called?

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different names for equations involving operators, specifically eigenvalue problems and linear equations. It is noted that equations without the property of eigenvalues do not have a specific name, but may be referred to as resolvents in functional analysis. The terms "regular values" and "spectrum" are also mentioned in relation to operators. Finally, it is pointed out that non-eigenvalues are not referred to as "resolvents" and the term "resolvent problem" is used to describe the task of determining the resolvent operator for a given equation.
member 428835
Hi PF!

So if this ##L[\phi] = M[\phi]## is called an eigenvalue problem (where ##L,M## are operators, could be differential or matrices) then what is this called ##L[\phi] = M##?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

So if this ##L[\phi] = M[\phi]## is called an eigenvalue problem (where ##L,M## are operators, could be differential or matrices) then what is this called ##L[\phi] = M##?
If ##(L-M).\Phi = 0## then ##\Phi## is an eigenvector of ##L-M## to the eigenvalue ##0##, i.e. an element in the kernel in case ##L,M## are linear.

Now, what is where from? Since ##L\Phi = M## makes no sense, they aren't in the same vector space anymore!

The general situation is a bit complexer than white and black: see e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/hilbert-spaces-relatives-part-ii/

fresh_42 said:
If ##(L-M).\Phi = 0## then ##\Phi## is an eigenvector of ##L-M## to the eigenvalue ##0##, i.e. an element in the kernel in case ##L,M## are linear.

Now, what is where from? Since ##L\Phi = M## makes no sense, they aren't in the same vector space anymore!

The general situation is a bit complexer than white and black: see e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/hilbert-spaces-relatives-part-ii/
I guess what I'm wondering is, what is this equation formally called ##A x = b##? Clearly it's not an eigenvalue problem.

joshmccraney said:
I guess what I'm wondering is, what is this equation formally called ##A x = b##? Clearly it's not an eigenvalue problem.
Again, depends on what is where from. Usually, i.e. if written this way, it is just an inhomogeneous system of linear equations. This remains the case if the vector space for the coefficients is an ordinary number field or a Hilbert space of functions and ##A## a differential operator.

As you have posed this questions under differential equations, then this imposes restrictions on ##x##. A linear differential equation of this type would be a vector ##x_i=y^{(i)}## and the coefficients of ##A## and ##b## e.g. functions ##\mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}##.

Likes member 428835
An equation of the form "Ax= b" is simply a "linear equation".

In response to the thread title, "What's a non-eigenvalue called?"...

This is akin to asking, "What's a non-zebra called?" There are lots of things that aren't zebras -- we don't have any special names for these things. The same is true for non-eigenvalues.

Likes jim mcnamara
joshmccraney said:
I don't think there is a name for it. The eigenvalue problem affects all linear functions, and it is a specific equation behind it, a property. Things which don't have this property are normally not named.

There is an exception in functional analysis, where non eigenvalues (together with a condition about boundedness) are called resolvents. But I haven't heard of e.g. the resolvent problem.

fresh_42 said:
There is an exception in functional analysis, where non eigenvalues (together with a condition about boundedness) are called resolvents. But I haven't heard of e.g. the resolvent problem.

If ##A## is a closed, linear operator on a complex Banach space, then
  • Its resolvent set is the set ##\rho(A) := \{z \in \mathbb{C}\,:\, (z I - A)^{-1} \text{ exists as a bounded linear operator}\}##. Points in the resolvent set are called regular values.
  • For ##z \in \rho(A)## the operator ##(z I - A)^{-1}## is called the resolvent operator and the map ##z \mapsto (z I - A)^{-1}## is called the resolvent map.
  • The complementary set ##\sigma(A) := \mathbb{C} \setminus \rho(A)## is called the spectrum of ##A##. Of course, in finite dimensions it coincides with the set of eigenvalues, but in general it may contain much more (and possibly even no eigenvalues at all).
So, a "non-eigenvalue" is never called a "resolvent". It may be a regular value, or it may be another point in the spectrum of ##A##.

Usually, the "resolvent problem" is just the task of determining the resolvent operator for a particular ##A##, but that terminology is indeed less used.

Mark44 said:
In response to the thread title, "What's a non-eigenvalue called?"...

This is akin to asking, "What's a non-zebra called?" There are lots of things that aren't zebras -- we don't have any special names for these things. The same is true for non-eigenvalues.
Obviously we have a special name for them, they are called "non-zebras".
:oldbiggrin:

Likes member 428835

1. What is a non-eigenvalue?

A non-eigenvalue is a number that does not satisfy the eigenvalue equation for a given matrix. In other words, it is not an eigenvalue of that matrix.

2. How is a non-eigenvalue different from an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a special type of number that represents a scalar factor by which a vector is scaled when multiplied by a matrix. A non-eigenvalue, on the other hand, does not have this property.

3. Can a non-eigenvalue be complex?

Yes, a non-eigenvalue can be complex. Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They can be used to represent solutions to certain mathematical equations, including the eigenvalue equation.

4. How are non-eigenvalues used in mathematics?

Non-eigenvalues are used in mathematics to help solve systems of linear equations and to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. They are also important in applications such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Is there a specific term for a non-eigenvalue?

No, there is not a specific term for a non-eigenvalue. It is simply referred to as a non-eigenvalue or a non-eigenvalue number.