1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's a Saddle Point?

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I'm working through a partial differentiation problem, to which I have the answer.

The function being 4x^2+4xy-y^3-2x+2 to which the stationary points must be obtained and classified.

At the end of the working out, when partial differentiation is conducted and a number of -32 is obtained, it states that because this is a negative number this is a "saddle point". Is this another term for a "point of inflection"?

How can they make this claim? I thought since the number obtained is negative it would therefore be a maximum turning point.

The second number obtained with the second partial differentiation is 32, and it states since this is a positive number this is a minimum turning point; which I understand.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to add to the other reply. For a function of one variable a saddle point is a point of inflection, but an inflection point need not be a saddle point since the slope need not be zero.

For a function of two variables a saddle point is a stationary point that is neither a max nor a min point. The term "inflection point" is not used for functions of two variables that I know of.

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4
    Thanks very much for the info guys!. Much appreciated, Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook