What's an IB Diploma worth?

1. Im currently just over half way through my IB diploma course at school with a predicted grade of 39-43 out of 45. This translates to a UAI (university admission index) (its a New South Wales thing in Australia - ask me if you need help here) of 99.45. I would really like to study engineering in Aeronautics or structural, or even get into space programs like NASA
    does any one have any advice for me like what Universities around the world are best for those courses and which ones accept the IB diploma?
    My subjects are: English SL, Maths SL (finished 1 year of HL then dropped back), Physics HL, Chemistry HL, Ab Initio French, Theory of Knowledge, Economics HL and my Extended Essay is in Economics....

2. jcsd
  3. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most US schools accept it. I personally got about 50 credit-hours of coursework for mine. Sure, a good portion of those hours were in subjects that didn't directly benefit my engineering degree, but the hours kept me from ever having to park my car in the freshman lot. :biggrin:

- Warren

4. what about in Europe? how would someone go in finding a uni over there with an IB diploma?

5. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Call the school and ask them, of course.

- Warren

6. i went to community college and my IB credits weren't accepted there :( what a waste

7. Theory of Knowledge... what a waste of time.

8. yes TOK is crap.... but what can u do its compulsary

9. The biggest challenge is the CAS, however.

10. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theory of Knowledge is not crap. You perhaps don't yet have the sophistication to realize how important it is, but you will one day.

- Warren

11. yes well our classes are crap lol, all we do is listen to the teacher talk pretty much, you can see that a few of our class have resorted to these forums for help on the topics.... what did you do you TOK Oral Presentation on?

12. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to give that one some thought... it was eleven years ago for me. I'll let you know if I remember it.

- Warren

13. ok great, we did our first attempt on the theories of the beginning of the universe and the science v religion debate. It scored 17/20 so we were really happy with that, but the presentation went for half an hour

14. For me it was quite a genric subject, "Can Science Explain Everything". Didn't do too well on that one, I got a 15/20.

15. it is good that you can pick whatever you want an anaylse it yes.... and the different ways of thinking may be helpful later on

16. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure I ended up using a science fair project that had won a 2nd Grand Award at the International Science and Engineering Fair. I remember feeling rather proud of myself for having not only won the fair, but also for having using essentially the same research for both my TOK extended essay and my high school's exit exam. Three birds with one stone.

- Warren

17. we spent over a month on logic and fallacious arguments in my TOK class.. then watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers :[

18. body snatchers? fun i guess..... we get to play chinese whispers and do charades to demonstrate how much we need language, and watch what the bleep do we know to try and understand "the new physics"

19. I was stupid enough that I did not fully utilise my AP-credits when I was first year student... So I had to part 10 miles away from school. But the next year, I am parking the senior parking log. lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?