What is the underlying principle behind Le Chatelier's principle?

• Thread starter Miffymycat
  • Start date
In summary, Le Chatelier's principle is the underlying principle which is behind equilibria shifting to oppose external changes. It is the Second Law of Thermodynamics in that it follows from the fact that systems in equilibrium will recover from small perturbations.
Miffymycat
What's the underlying principle which is behind Le Chatelier's principle that equilibria shift to oppose external changes? Is it the Second Law of Thermodynamics? If so, why? Or is it some other principle? Or just an observed fact we can't explain!? I've quoted this Law for years without realising I don't understand it!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is inevitable in any circumstance of stable equilibrium. A system in stable equilibrium, such as a ball in a dish, recovers from a small perturbation. Normally one thinks of, say, pushing the ball to one side and releasing. But what if you keep your finger there instead of releasing the ball? The forces that would restore equilibrium when the finger is removed must already be acting.
It follows that the rule can break down in some circumstances:
- unstable equilibrium
- metastable equilibrium
- a perturbation that exceeds the range of stable equilibrium
It may be that such circumstances are rarer in Chemistry then in some other disciplines.

It can be derived from thermodynamics. Have a look at a book on introductory physical chemistry (e.g W. J. Moore, Physical chemistry) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0136659683/?tag=pfamazon01-20
or on chemical thermodynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it can be described as minimization of free energy.

When a reaction is exothermic, and the system is heated up, Le Chatelier says that the reaction equilibrium state will shift in the direction of the reactants. This makes sense because more heat will reduce the stability of the products relative to the reactants if it is exothermic.

In other cases of equilibrium, I think it is the same, such as with pressure and gases.

One other way to see it, is thanks to Harmonic Oscilators.
Well it's not an HO, but!
At every equilibrium point r0, you can expand your potential (which causes the force) in Taylor series. For small changes, you have:
V(r+r0)= V(r0) + (r-r0) dV/dr|r=r0+(r-r0)2 d2V/dr2|r=r0+O(r3)

the 2nd term on the right side because of equilibrium is ZERO.
I can set V(r0)=0
So every region around the equilibrium is like an HO, V(r)=A r2

So if you disturb your system from its equilibrium a little bit, there will be a force appearing that will tend to bring it back to its initial state.
Of course that is for very small perturbations , small enough that I can forget the terms of r3, but works fine.

In that way, you can understand that any kind of system that is in an equilibrium state, if you drag it out of it, in "first orders" will try to return in a way. For what I used above I didn't use any kind of "determining what forces there are" only that my system was at an equilibrium and then something dragged it out of it.

Does it work in everything?
Well I guess yes. The only thing that is important, is to have a stable equilibrium states, and not an unstable-saddle ones. Otherwise my expansion and so peturbation would have no meaning.

1. What is Le Chatelier's principle?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system in equilibrium is subjected to a stress, the system will shift in the direction that minimizes the effect of the stress.

2. How does Le Chatelier's principle work?

Le Chatelier's principle works by predicting how a change in conditions, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration, will affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction. The system will shift to counteract the change and maintain equilibrium.

3. What are the applications of Le Chatelier's principle?

Le Chatelier's principle is used in various industries, such as chemical manufacturing, to optimize production processes. It is also utilized in environmental studies to predict the effects of environmental changes on ecosystems.

4. Can Le Chatelier's principle be violated?

Le Chatelier's principle is a general guideline and may not always accurately predict the behavior of a system. In certain cases, the system may not respond as expected due to other factors, such as kinetics, that are not taken into account.

5. How is Le Chatelier's principle related to equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle is related to equilibrium because it describes how a system at equilibrium will respond to changes in conditions. It helps to explain the behavior of a system as it approaches equilibrium and how it maintains equilibrium under different conditions.