Discovering the Magic of My Home Town

In summary, the place you live is paradise with green trees, lots of critters, and an annual return of the creek. The downside is that there is no place to do anything and the air quality is poor.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
About the place you live ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trees have green leaves.

arildno said:
The trees have green leaves.

That sounds a fun place to live.

Also, the sky is usually blue and the coffee good (at least the one I don't have to make myself)

Everything. The trees with green leaves, :biggrin: all of the critters, the annual return of our creek... It's paradise. We LOVE it!1111

Tsu said:
Everything. The trees with green leaves, :biggrin: all of the critters, the annual return of our creek... It's paradise. We LOVE it!1111
Even the lack of bedspace? :confused:

the good:

The food , people and weather

but the bad:

The food , people and weather as well
plus there's a goddam haze around

kaos said:
the good:

The food , people and weather

but the bad:

The food , people and weather as well
plus there's a goddam haze around

Is that a smog haze?

arildno said:
Even the lack of bedspace? :confused:

:biggrin: Yeah. Even that. After 20+ years, I'm pretty used to it. I hardly EVER fall off anymore! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
:biggrin: Yeah. Even that. After 20+ years, I'm pretty used to it. I hardly EVER fall off anymore! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I just remembered:
Beware the serpent in paradise, though..

Cheap beer, lovely rocky Peak District on doorstep, nice little green big city nearby. Lots of hills. Friendly people who will say 'thanks' if you hold a door open for them, or smile if you let them out of a junction.

Oh no wait, that's not where I live. That's where I used to live. Rats.

brewnog said:
Cheap beer, lovely rocky Peak District on doorstep, nice little green big city nearby. Lots of hills. Friendly people who will say 'thanks' if you hold a door open for them, or smile if you let them out of a junction.

Oh no wait, that's not where I live. That's where I used to live. Rats.

Are you acclimatized yet Brewey? most people that move there have a tummy
bug for the first week or so, but by the third week are able to check out the
area.

wolram said:
Is that a smog haze?

Its smoke coming from indonesia (cause by peat and forest fires).

kaos said:
Its smoke coming from indonesia (cause by peat and forest fires).

That must be awful, i hope it soon clears up.

It's the land of the free.

Jimmysnyder, i meant your local area, not country, but what the hey, what is good
about it?

Weather is great, skies are usually clear, always clean, the rolling hills, pastures, vineyards, and all are gorgeous, and it's fairly quiet and organized. There doesn't seem to be any crime going on. Despite the dairy farms, it doesn't smell like manure all the time (like Riverside County and the central valley). The locals are very nice.

On the down side, there isn't a damn thing to do unless you drive down to San Francisco. Even Santa Rosa doesn't seem to have a whole lot going on.

The good. Most of the bad people have killed each other off.
My dog is still bigger then most of the rats.
People are re-investing into the city, new homes are going up all over, and
older homes are being fixed.
Great medical care, even for the poor.
My neighborhood is full of lush green lawns and gardens. Parks with majestic trees.
The great lakes are beautiful in every season.

The bad. Still too much violence.
To few city services
To many poor
One stupid Mayor
Poor quality of public education

wolram said:
Jimmysnyder, i meant your local area, not country, but what the hey, what is good about it?
The local area is free too.

It's not anywhere else.

It`s also where my family live :!)

EDIT; fresh sea food :wink:

Last edited:

1. What inspired you to write "Discovering the Magic of My Home Town"?

I grew up in a small town and always felt a strong connection to it. As I traveled and explored other places, I realized that there was a lot of beauty and magic in my hometown that often goes unnoticed. I wanted to share my experiences and encourage others to appreciate the unique qualities of their own hometowns.

2. How did you research for this book?

I spent a lot of time revisiting places and memories from my childhood and talking to locals about their favorite spots and stories. I also did extensive online research and read books and articles about the history and culture of my hometown.

3. What do you hope readers will take away from "Discovering the Magic of My Home Town"?

I hope readers will be inspired to explore their own hometowns with a new perspective and appreciation. I also hope to spark a sense of nostalgia and pride in readers who may have moved away from their hometowns.

4. How did your background as a scientist influence your approach to writing this book?

My background in science taught me to observe and analyze things from different angles. This approach helped me to uncover hidden gems and unique aspects of my hometown that I may have overlooked otherwise. It also helped me to present the information in a clear and organized manner.

5. Can you share a favorite discovery from your hometown that you featured in the book?

One of my favorite discoveries was a hidden hiking trail that led to a beautiful waterfall. Despite living in my hometown for years, I had never known about this trail before. It was a reminder that there is always something new to discover, even in a place you think you know well.