Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's ground lead screws?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    What's ground lead screws ?
    What's the differences between the ground lead screws and lead screws ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I've never heard that term before. Without looking it up somewhere, my guess would be that it's a screwjack which has been formed by grinding down a blank piece of metal, as opposed to machining, moulding, or forging. That's probably wrong, but I can't currently think of anything else.

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    ground lead screws = lead screws made by grinding or ground to finish, rather than another metal forming method.

Grinding is more expensive, but more accurate, than say forging which is also used.

Obviously the point of lead screws is accuracy, so you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Studiot: Quoting the PF rules, "Posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. Messaging shorthand, such as using u for you, is not acceptable." You should be shaking in your boots, in case a PF mentor sees your last sentence. :biggrin:

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, now... I's the language police here, and I says him's post is okay.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ifin its oll korrect its ok

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Damn straight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook