Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's happen when a molecule or an atom is already in an excited electronic state an

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    What's happen when a molecule or an atom is already in an excited electronic state and is hit from another photon?

Example 1: my molecule absorbs a VIS photon (there's a time in which the molecule is an upper electronic state before the re-emission or etc. etc. process) what happen if another photon with the same wavelenght hit it in the while?

Example 2: and if a photon of another wavelenght (e.g. IR)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Re: What's happen when a molecule or an atom is already in an excited electronic stat

Well, what would happen if an object that had no excited states got "hit" by a photon? Answer: elastic scatter

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    Re: What's happen when a molecule or an atom is already in an excited electronic stat

you mean a photon of the same energy that already caused the atom to go to an excited state?

5. Nov 18, 2011 #4

It could achieve a more energetic excited state, could dissociate, could follow a de-excitation process, could do nothing...

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5

Yes a photon that can normaly be absorb when the molecule/atom is in the ground state (the same wavelenght or a another wavelenght).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. Nov 21, 2011 #6

Ok, I was asking to myself, if a molecule/atom in a excited state could be treat as the same molecule/atom in a ground state: can the first have different optical proprieties, be trasparent absorbs in other region etc. etc.

8. Nov 21, 2011 #7

Thanks. So you esclude all the other phenomena, don't you think that the molecule could however behave as a different molecule? Could the molecule absorbs other photons? The final question maybe is: could the molecule do many process in the same time? Thanks.

9. Nov 21, 2011 #8

As said it depends, atoms are simpler but for molecules you can find intersecting PESs, different isomers or even dissociation

10. Nov 23, 2011 #9

Ok, I will learn more about intersecting potential energy surface. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook