Beyond the Standard Model": Reflections on a Hindu Chant

• Thread starter rtharbaugh1
  • Start date
In summary, "Strings, branes, and LQG" has become "Beyond the Standard Model", with some suggesting the alternative title "Beyond This Horizon". Scientific American has also published a special issue titled "Frontiers of Physics" with articles on strings and LQG at a simplified level. The debate over whether GR is a model or a theory continues.
rtharbaugh1
I see that "Strings, branes, and LQG" has become "Beyond the Standard Model". OK.

But shouldn't it be "Beyond the Standard Models"?

I offer this meditative prayer from the days of my youth:

Beyond the shining silver sea
the silent singer sings to thee.
All your trials lie ahead,
suffering brings enlightenment.
Beyond, beyond, beyond the beyond,
blessed be far travelor.

It is partly a translation of a Hindi chant, "Gate gate paragate, Para sam gate bhodi shawi."

Good voyages!

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
But shouldn't it be "Beyond the Standard Models"?

Because there's a Standard Model of particle physics, and GR is also the standard model of gravitation? And anything "professsionally researched" that goes beyond either of them belongs here? I would agree. The name was kind of a comittee choice by the mentors, and I believe it was nobody's first choice. I'd go for Heinlein's old title" "Beyond This Horizon".

Marcus' Beyond the Standard Muddle is better. Plurals are unnecessary. :smile:

What sight so lured him thro' the fields he knew
As where Earth's green stole into heaven's own hue,
Far-far-away?
Tennyson

Last edited:
BTW Scientific American has a special issue out called Frontiers of Physics with an article on strings by Brian Greene and one on LQG by Lee Smolin. All at the very simple SciAm level. But I thought the title was a good one.

selfAdjoint said:
Because there's a Standard Model of particle physics, and GR is also the standard model of gravitation?

The problem with this is that (i) the SM is a model and (ii) GR is a theory.

Kea said:
The problem with this is that (i) the SM is a model and (ii) GR is a theory.

Good grief! Let's not get into THAT again!

Zz.

1. What is the Standard Model in physics?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions that make up the universe. It includes the three out of the four fundamental forces of nature: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

2. What is Beyond the Standard Model (BSM)?

Beyond the Standard Model (BSM) is a hypothetical extension of the Standard Model that seeks to explain phenomena that the Standard Model is unable to account for, such as dark matter, dark energy, and the hierarchy problem. It is an active area of research in theoretical physics.

3. How does Hindu chant relate to the Beyond the Standard Model?

The connection between Hindu chant and the Beyond the Standard Model is a philosophical one. The Hindu chant, "Om", is believed to be the sound of the universe and represents the ultimate reality. Similarly, BSM theories aim to understand the fundamental nature of the universe and its origins.

4. Can Hinduism and science coexist in their understanding of the universe?

Yes, Hinduism and science can coexist in their understanding of the universe. Hinduism has a rich history of philosophical and spiritual teachings that can complement scientific theories. It is important to recognize that science and religion serve different purposes and can exist alongside each other.

5. What are some potential implications of BSM theories?

If BSM theories are proven to be true, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and lead to new technological advancements. It could also have implications for our understanding of the origin of the universe and the nature of reality. However, more research and evidence are needed before any definitive conclusions can be drawn.

Back