What's in Your Pocket? Is Your Wallet Overflowing with Random Bits of Mayhem?

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
In summary, this Dilbert comic has a character who has a lot of gadgets hanging from his clothes, including a satellite dish on his hat. This just springs to mind because I have a tissue in my pocket and allergy season is coming up. My wallet has a $100 and $10 bill, a couple of singles, my driver's license, and a tissue.
The_Professional
I have my wallet containing a crispy $100 and $10 bill, a couple of singles. My driver's license.

...What's in your pocket?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The_Professional said:
I have my wallet containing a crispy $100 and $10 bill, a couple of singles.
Man... if I had your money, I'd burn mine.

Hey, you never know when you'll meet that dead-ringer for Grace Kelly so it's best to be prepared.

that depends...

If I don't say capital one will I be consumed by a mythic legion of norsemen wreaking a path of tyranny and havoc in their wake?

Zantra said:
that depends...

If I don't say capital one will I be consumed by a mythic legion of norsemen wreaking a path of tyranny and havoc in their wake?

"There's a distinct possibility."

Who gets it? Anyone? damn.

franznietzsche said:
"There's a distinct possibility."

Who gets it? Anyone? damn.

well you got it, so now at least I have company. Just remember- we're the normal ones, everyone else is nuking futs. :bugeye:

The_Professional said:
I have my wallet containing a crispy $100 and $10 bill, a couple of singles.
Are you married?
The_Professional said:
Hey, you never know when you'll meet that dead-ringer for Grace Kelly so it's best to be prepared.
Oh...never mind. :blushing:
Zantra said:
that depends...If I don't say capital one will I be consumed by a mythic legion of norsemen wreaking a path of tyranny and havoc in their wake?
I get it--but does that mean I'm a nuking fut that watches too much TV?

BTW - This post is unfair for the sisters, but if you asked what we have in our purses, we'd blow you out of the water.

Just got back from the gym. My shorts have no pockets. There's a black pen in the pants hanging on my chair.

Front left - keys
Front right - two pocket knives, pen
Back left - cell phone
Back right - money/credit cards

Hanging from belt - Gerber Multi-Tool and the occasional MP3 player

...is that way too much stuff ?

hmm I'm thinking you must jingle when you walk.

I have a tissue in my pocket, allergy season for me.

128Mb jump drive
cellphone
notepad & pen
swipekey
$16.05
a wooden nub that will eventually go on the base of my custom-built aquarium

The irony here is that I've worn a belt-pouch for years to carry all my assorteds - for the sole reason that I want to not have lumpy pockets!

Phone
Keys
Leatherman
About £35, and some cards
A shedload of pocket fluff

DocToxyn said:
Front left - keys
Front right - two pocket knives, pen
Back left - cell phone
Back right - money/credit cards

Hanging from belt - Gerber Multi-Tool and the occasional MP3 player

...is that way too much stuff ?
In Dilbert there was a character that made a brief appearance, "Technobob" I think was his name. Every technogadget known (and some as of yet unknown) hanging off his clothes even a satelite disk antenna for a hat. This just springs to mind Doc. :biggrin:

Zantra said:
that depends...

If you're in the mall, you can possibly get away when they stop to look at the Fredricks window. :biggrin:

$1.34 in change

10 Keys

Wallet with about $150,000.00 worth of credit-line :yuck: and $7.00 actual money.

Comb

14 tissues (allergy season is starting) :yuck: (If that pocket was in the middle front of my pants instead of off to the side, I'd probably be more popular.) :tongue:

Network Interface Card
Stand Alone Network Interface Unit
Upgrades UG-SU-6-54-VL Performance Upgrade
Accessories CBL-CAT 5, 50m Outdoor-rated 160ft (50m) Cat-5 Ethernet Cable
NEW AU-D-BS-5.3-120-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, Indoor Network Interface Card for chassis + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-BS-5.3-90-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, Indoor Network Interface Card for chassis + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-SA-5.3-120-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, stand alone Indoor Network Interface Unit + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-SA-5.3-90-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, stand alone Indoor Network Interface Unit
5.350 GHz. 54 Mbps OFDM.
BREEZEACCESS VL - 5.3
BREEZEACCESS VL - 5.8 Network Interface Card

and keys.

Ivan Seeking said:
Network Interface Card
NEW AU-D-BS-5.3-120-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, Indoor Network Interface Card for chassis + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-BS-5.3-90-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, Indoor Network Interface Card for chassis + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-SA-5.3-120-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, stand alone Indoor Network Interface Unit + Outdoor radio unit,
NEW AU-D-SA-5.3-90-VL Base station Equipment, Complete AU system, stand alone Indoor Network Interface Unit
5.350 GHz. 54 Mbps OFDM.
BREEZEACCESS VL - 5.3

and keys.
Technobob has met his match. :biggrin:

Wallet with ID and some cash
Little green book
pen
Address book
ipod & headphones
deck of cards
keys
bus pass

left pocket: a mint 2004 U.S. nickel (Lewis & Clark edition), broken watch that is an hour off. Two slips of paper and some government paperwork.

right pocket: more government paperwork, wallet, and formula for least squares regression analysis (heh try memorizing that on your own).

My pockets are empty :(.

*checks* Nope, no pockets today. I think there's a roll of Rolaids or Tums in my jacket pocket. Had you asked last week, it would have been more interesting, but with warm weather arriving, I haven't needed the jacket every day, so have transferred the contents of my pockets to a purse.

motai said:
broken watch that is an hour off.

I don't think its broken...

For the host, I'm guessing you rarely have $100 in your pocket.

I have nothing in my pockets... it doesn't take much to impress people. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
*checks* Nope, no pockets today. I think there's a roll of Rolaids or Tums in my jacket pocket. Had you asked last week, it would have been more interesting, but with warm weather arriving, I haven't needed the jacket every day, so have transferred the contents of my pockets to a purse.

ya, I'm slowly tossing all my pocket junk into the purse. I've attempted to stuff stuff in my sweatshirt pockets, but then i may wear a different sweatshirt and I'm screwed... But hey, YAY for warm weather!

Currently I'm carrying my school id and room key, a few pens. and some spare earrings... in case i get bored with the ones I'm wearing.

Ivan Seeking said:
Network Interface Card
5.350 GHz. 54 Mbps OFDM.
BREEZEACCESS VL - 5.3

and keys.

:bugeye: We have achieved a new meaning for the term "cargo pants".

Ivan Seeking said:
Network Interface Card... ...Stand Alone Network Interface Unit

and keys.
That is just freaky.

Okay, Evo said that there's 10,000 words worth of space here, so this is it:

Pants:
Front Left –
2 pens; 1 .5mm mechanical pencil; 3 packs of spare leads for the above pencil; Otrivin sniffer (I'm allergic to dust); $50 bar receipt from darts match Monday; 4 month-old paper with hovercraft sketches (including one I was doing up for the Red Green show that involves a garden tractor duct-taped to the top of an upside down boat); 2 only slightly-used Kleenexes; $42 bar receipt from darts match previous Monday (different bar - the drinks were cheaper); spare mini-Bic lighter; until recent legal difficulties, spare mag for .45
Front Right – 2 key rings totalling 18 keys, nail clippers and a pen knife; $13 bar receipt from darts match 3 weeks ago; illegible ATM receipt (probably from the bar); Listerine pocket pack (you never know); $60 ATM receipt; one Pen-Tathlon dart flight; 3 beer can pull-tabs (my Legion collects them); $1.07 in coins
Back Right – lock picks
Back Left – wallet (you don't want to know what's in there, but it's more than the pockets put together and none of it's money :grumpy:; I think there might be some condoms too, but it's been so long I can't remember how to use them)
Between BR & BL – until recent legal difficulties, Llama IXA .45 ACP

Vest:
Left –
chequebook; tube of artificial tears; flashlight; eyeglass cleaner; pool league jacket patch; pill bottle with supplies of 7 different medicines
Right – set of darts; driver's license medical report & receipt therefore; phone bill receipt; promotional keychain and fridge magnet for friend's stripper daughter; digital camera

I only wear the vest because I need the pockets.

Shirt – Luckily only one pocket: smokes, lighter, smoke snuffer

Jacket – Varies randomly: right now just spare smokes and a dozen rubber bands (they throw them out at work, so I bring them home for the paper boy)

Now aren't you sorry you asked? You should have seen it before I got on the ADD meds.)

Tissues, various uni-related bits of paper, gum, wallet, a flyer for may's Amen gig, and a pencil (which is replacing yesterday's pen. Despite having showered, my leg still remains a funny shade pf black. Luckily, the trousers were black anyway.)

Oh yeah... lint. I forgot to mention lint. Lots of lint.

Danger said:
Oh yeah... lint. I forgot to mention lint. Lots of lint.
Where'd you find room for the lint? :tongue:

Artman said:
Where'd you find room for the lint? :tongue:
It gets highly compressed on the bottom.

Danger said:
It gets highly compressed on the bottom.
I'll say. Carry around a lump of coal for a week, and you could make a diamond with that load of stuff. :rofl:

wallet, some coins , lighter , 512MB usb thumb drive, keys
, 1 pack of malboros, ligther

Artman said:
I'll say. Carry around a lump of coal for a week, and you could make a diamond with that load of stuff. :rofl:
Oh Cripes! I never even considered the heat of compression! I could end up with a fire in my pocket! (And not just from staring at Evo's pictures.)

Student ID+ holder
Dorm key and bike lock key
A sheet of paper folded multiple times with randomness written all over it... been using the same one for maybe six weeks now, going to need a new one soon.

Andromeda321 said:
Student ID+ holder
Dorm key and bike lock key
A sheet of paper folded multiple times with randomness written all over it... been using the same one for maybe six weeks now, going to need a new one soon.
How many times? We want to know. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56289

Swiss army knife, nail clippers, spare change, and wallet. Only $31.30 in cash, but I also have a couple of lottery tickets in my wallet that I forgot to check - I'm pretty sure they must be multi-million dollar winners, maybe even both of them :approve: .

buck knife
$32.50
hunter-trapper education card
HS conservation club membership card
YMCA card
school ID/debit card
sharpie marker
your car keys (not really)

Fibonacci
(not funny, i know)

How many times? We want to know. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56289
Haha, wasn't going for a record, just a normal 8 by 11 sheet folded so there are eight smaller creased rectangles when completely unfolded for a total of sixteen bits of mayhem (convieniently wallet-sized should I tear one of the eight off). As of right now one of the eighths is gone, another has email addresses, another has quotes, another has the list of junk I had due this week, another has a cool poem I saw, another are a few questions I wanted to ask from a certain professor, another is an idea for a short story... goes on and on really.

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to analyze the contents of individuals' pockets and wallets to gain insight into their daily lives and habits.

2. How will the data be collected?

The data will be collected through observation and recording of the items found in participants' pockets and wallets. This may also include surveys or interviews to gather additional information.

3. What kind of items are typically found in people's pockets and wallets?

Common items found in pockets and wallets include money, identification cards, keys, phones, and small personal items such as gum or lip balm. However, the specific items may vary depending on the individual and their daily activities.

4. Is there a specific age group or demographic being targeted for this experiment?

No, this experiment aims to gather data from a diverse range of individuals to understand how pocket and wallet contents may differ across different demographics.

5. What can the data collected from this experiment be used for?

The data collected from this experiment can be used for various purposes, such as understanding consumer behavior, identifying trends and patterns, and developing products or services that cater to the needs of individuals. It can also provide insights into the daily routines and lifestyles of different individuals.