What's it like to be a crackpot?

• Thread starter Phyisab****
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crackpot
In summary, the conversation revolved around a particularly intriguing and elaborate crackpot thread that was reported by the speaker. The thread claimed that well-known scientists, such as Sagan and Hawking, are idiots and part of a conspiracy to dumb down society. It also attempted to disprove established scientific knowledge about the universe. The conversation delved into the motivations of such individuals and questioned what it would be like to be inside the mind of a crackpot. The speaker expressed regret for reporting the thread, as it was quite fascinating, and speculated on whether the person behind it was truly insane or just seeking attention. They also discussed the potential benefits of quickly shutting down such threads.
Phyisab****
I just had the pleasure of reporting a particularly fascinating crackpot thread. Probably over 2000 words and many images, seemed to have taken a while to put together. I kind of wish I hadn't reported it so more people could see it, it was that fascinating, but now deleted. It began by saying

"The Big Bangers, Sagan, Hawking et al, are idiots and stretcher case retards whose impetus is the dumbing down of mankind, who remain the scientific equivalent of politicians and journalists, blind to hard evidence that 911 was an inside job!"

then went on to try to disprove every (and I really mean every!) thing we know about the universe.

What goes on in these people's heads? What is their motivation? What would it be like to get inside the mind of a crackpot? Or is that like asking what it would be like to be an electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
semicontrolled_demolition.png

Phyisab**** said:
I just had the pleasure of reporting a particularly fascinating crackpot thread. Probably over 2000 words and many images, seemed to have taken a while to put together. I kind of wish I hadn't reported it so more people could see it, it was that fascinating, but now deleted. It began by saying

"The Big Bangers, Sagan, Hawking et al, are idiots and stretcher case retards whose impetus is the dumbing down of mankind, who remain the scientific equivalent of politicians and journalists, blind to hard evidence that 911 was an inside job!"

then went on to try to disprove every (and I really mean every!) thing we know about the universe.

What goes on in these people's heads? What is their motivation? What would it be like to get inside the mind of a crackpot? Or is that like asking what it would be like to be an electron?
That one was a doozy. Hard to tell when they are that elaborate if the person is insane or if they're bored and put together an elaborate joke to try to get people upset. It's always good to nip them in the bud as quickly as possible.

I wish I had saved it, it really was a work of art.

What's it like to be a crackpot?

I think it is a feeling of goodness about oneself and raises the self esteem for the desperate one.

What is a crackpot?

A crackpot is a term used to describe someone who holds unconventional or bizarre views or beliefs that are not supported by evidence or accepted by the scientific community.

What causes someone to become a crackpot?

There is no one specific cause for someone to become a crackpot. It could be a combination of factors such as a lack of critical thinking skills, a desire for attention or recognition, or a belief in conspiracy theories.

How can you identify a crackpot?

A crackpot often displays a pattern of thinking that is illogical, inconsistent, and lacking in evidence. They may also reject established scientific theories and principles without providing valid alternative explanations.

Can crackpots make valuable contributions to science?

In rare cases, crackpots may stumble upon a new idea or concept that could potentially have value in the scientific community. However, this is not the norm and most crackpots do not make valuable contributions to science.

How can scientists deal with crackpots?

The best way for scientists to deal with crackpots is to ignore them and focus on their own research and evidence-based theories. Engaging with crackpots often leads to a waste of time and resources and can also give them a platform to spread their unsupported ideas.