Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's it like where you live?

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm curious on what it is like where you live in terms of employment.

I'd like some serious input because I feel like our area just sucks.

A friend of mine just came from Alberta after staying there for 3 months and said that there are jobs everywhere. Sure cost of living is higher, but he said jobs are everywhere and you can find one the day you look for one. He's only staying down here for a month and going back.

My friend couldn't even get his old job back to make money in my area. They loved him at the place, but can't give him a job? WTF?

Minimum wage here is what everyone pays. You get a dollar more an hour than minimum and you got bragging rights. You're a teenager with a job with student wage (which is lower than minimum wage!) and you have bragging rights.

In my area, you have to dress all nice and act all professionally for a job at McDonald's for crying out loud. Employers around here are just cheap! There is a lot of money flowing around this area considering we have the Welland Canal (ships) and Niagara Falls, Ontario, which bring a lot of money.

I'm not overexaggerating my claims to getting a job a McDonald's. I couldn't even get one in high school and a lot of my friends couldn't. If you got one, you were lucky and did something. I ended up with a job at Burger King, but that's only because I knew the Hiring Manager!!! How pathetic is that. You need connections to get a job at a fast food place?

Anyways, I might be looking for a better job soon. I find myself to be very sociable and friendly when I talk to people. I got my current job the same day (which is rare) because he liked how I presented myself. I also think I have a great looking resume with peer tutoring and honour awards listed on it.

We will see if I can get a job that pays more than $10 an hour that does not require sitting at a phone doing telemarketing, which is all we have around here that pays nearly $10, but not quite. Sad.

Note: Here in Ontario employers can pay high school students less than minimum wage. How disgusting is that. They want these kids to save for university making below minimum wage!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

If you want a good well paid job it is no use looking in papers or employment agency, you have to know people in your trade, many times advertised jobs are all ready (earmarked) the company is just going through the motions, if you do not have an established reputation it is extremly hard to find a well paid job.

4. Jul 26, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know that, but I'm speaking generally.

$10 an hour is not well paying. That's utter crap. I just want something like $11-12 an hour and that is utter crap. You could barely live on that if it was possible, which would be very very very difficult. Well paying would be like $20 an hour and that's not what I'm looking for right now because I know that would require a lot more.

Over here most people get paid $8 an hour, which is minimum wage. You can't possibly live off that even if you worked 50 hours a week.

My question is how difficult is it to get something that is decent not well-paying. If we got to work and be all that you can be to work at McDonald's, that shows how pathetic employment is around here.

5. Jul 26, 2006 #4
    Virtually no employment here unless you want to be a robot or a chef, most of which pay under $8 ph.

6. Jul 26, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and work in Silcon Valley. Sometimes it seems like everyone has a Porsche, if that's any indication of employment opportunity.

- Warren

7. Jul 26, 2006 #6
    I live in DC so, there are always lots of Jobs. Government and Private. Cost of living is high, but it's a great place. I could not live any where else.

8. Jul 26, 2006 #7

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta here. There are lots of jobs, but the cost of living is extremely high. McDonalds pays about $8/h starting. A labour or warehouse job will pay 12-14 hourly and the hours are usually 10-12 per day, often 6 days per week. The problem is that you need a car to work here. The bus system is sketchy, so your place of employment will either have no bus service or the bus service is 1-2 hours each direction. For my tiny underpowered Ford Tempo the yearly gasoline cost is up around $3000 (car gets 10km/L, about 23mpg using American gallons). Car insurance here is private which means it's a giant scam (government insurance next door in Saskatchewan is literally half as expensive). Minimum legal insurance is about $1800 per year, comprehensive for a beater is about $4000, comprehensive for a new car is about $5000 (my new Honda Civic LX will cost $5200 per year to insure, that's with no tickets or accidents on my record).

Add up all these costs and you're left with not a hell of a lot
    $5000 car insurance
    $3000 gasoline
    $8400 rent (this is as low you'll get without living in the ghetto)
    $7000 taxes (what I'll pay for $36,000 gross income)
    $23,400 total fixed expenses

How expensive is food? Computer? Telephone? Internet? Utilities? Clothes? Probably the same as where you live.

There's no money to be made here. Stay out of Alberta.

9. Jul 26, 2006 #8
    I live in NH, and the job market here seems fine. Theres plenty of jobs at fast food restaraunts (if thats what your into). There is tons of money to be made working construction and most companies will start a newbie out at 12-15$ an hour cash.

However, real estate prices here on the seacoast are ridiculous.

10. Jul 26, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like Ontario to me except no jobs. Insurance is about the same, but mine is lower now thanks to safe driving and getting older. It's about what you are paying because I go with minimum requirements.

Gas is about the same too.

The friend I was talking will be renting out a room only from a friend/aunt's place I believe for only $300-500 a month. That doesn't sound too bad.

I'm just asking around just to see how it is elsewhere. I find it quite sad that we live in a developped world and you have to work your balls off to get a decent living (unless you're lucky). It just makes no sense to me. It's like we are walking backwards.

11. Jul 26, 2006 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Yes it does seem really crappy. A friend from my graduating class was lucky to get a chemistry job at the local university which means he can take the bus to work. He's very frugal (cheap), he does not own a car, everything he owns is from Walmart or Goodwill, but even with all these savings he lives paycheck to paycheck because he also needs to support a wife and an infant son.

I never understood why crime existed until I did a simple number crunch on the cost of living. Unless you are a professional or a crack dealer you won't get anywhere financially while working a "standard" 8 hour day. To reach your dream of owning a house you need to work 12 hour days, 6 days per week. During that time you have no friends or dates because there simply isn't time; 12 hours working, 8 hours sleeping, 1 hour transport each direction leaves only 2 hours per day of time to do anything. Sunday is used to catch up on sleep.

12. Jul 26, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. Maybe you should swap that red Ferarri for something less exotic.

My insurance and gas are less than a third of those numbers.

13. Jul 26, 2006 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Ferarri? It's a Honda Civic. Welcome to the world of private insurance companies.
    Actually I did check out the price to insure a 2006 Porsche 911 on those insurance websites. Prices given ranged between $8,000 and $15,000 per year. Third party liability (minimum required by law) for that Porsche would be about $3000. I guess statistics show that people who own Porsches cause a lot of car accidents (third party liability means you are at fault, your insurance pays to fix the other guy's car but not yours).

14. Jul 26, 2006 #13
    I haven't found a job whole summer. It's worse than Ontario here...I miss Ontario now...

15. Jul 26, 2006 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

16. Jul 27, 2006 #15
    I think those "best places to live" reports are a bunch of crap. I think I am capable of deciding that on my own. Someone else in here, maybe Dimitri?, asked why Americans have this obsession with ranking everything. I agree, it's stupid.

Where I live did not make it on the list, yet I find it to be a great place to live. Who are they to tell me what is good or bad?

People should think for themselves and not rely on others to think for them.

17. Jul 27, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I own a 240 horsepower two-seat sports car, and only pay US $1200 per year for insurance. I don't understand why anyone would have to pay such prices for insurance on a Civic. If I had to pay that kind of money for insurance, I'd just ride my bike everywhere.

- Warre

18. Jul 27, 2006 #17

Evo

Alexandria, VA ranked most educated. That's where my friend in DC I visited lives, I guess he bumped that number up. :biggrin:

Play with the different categories, you'll come up.

I have to agree with the results though, the cost of living here is low, crime is almost non-existant, salaries are high, unemployment is low, no traffic, no polution. But I was shocked to see it rank so high. I'd take DC/Arlington over OP in a heartbeat.

19. Jul 27, 2006 #18

Evo

I have two cars, one is considered a sports car, I pay a little over $1k a year for both combined. It depends on your age, your gender, if you've had driver's ed, or a good driving record.

20. Jul 27, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Wow, and i moan about paying £120 year on my 106, about £36 per 6 weeks
    fuel, job is 36k flat, sats, time and a half, suns double time + any hours i feel i deserve to add on o:) It is hard to find a place to live, most live in flats in town, and they can be real grotty, i was lucky finding a country cottage.
    minimum wage is £3 80 per hr, but shelf stackers earn about £6, to buy a house either you have to have a very good job or man and wife work, prices are averaging £160 to £200k.

21. Jul 27, 2006 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

yeah, and where you live, and what statutes play with your insurance. For a long itme, in Alaska, we didn't have SR22, but by the time I got my second MIP, it had been enacted (in other words, they screwed with my license for drinking underage).

I had terribly cruel insurance rates for three years, and since I"ve turned 25 my billl is down to 130 a month. But, being as I live in a college town that turns to ice for the whole winter, I've already been rear ended by a freshman girl and am thankful for insurance.

chroot: Riding my bike is out of the question in -40 weather. Except when my friend who use to do it every day calls me yella'... then I have to flex nuts. I guess there's some aesthetic bonus to having icicles hanging off your face, but it's generally not worth it to me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?