1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's more soluable in water?

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which compound would you expect to be more soluble in water: heptanoic acid or 1-octanol?

Which of the compounds has the greater solubility in water and why?
    2-Propanone or 1-Propanol

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe for the first question that the answer is heptanoic acid because it has increased hydrogen bonding. I think the second answer is alcohol for the same reason.

I have an exam tomorrow, so if anyone could clear this up I'd be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having less than or 5 carbon atoms are water soluble because they each have an oxygen atom capable of hydrogen bonding."

"alcohols, ethers and epoxides having more than 5 carbon atoms are insoluble because the non-polar alkyl portion is too large to dissolve in water"

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply Cronxeh. I know they're both soluble, but what I need to know is which is MORE soluble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook