What's my level of physics according to the textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics textbook called "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker, David Halliday, and Robert Resnick, which is commonly used in first year university courses in the US. The individual can easily solve most of the questions in the book, making them wonder if the book is too easy for their level. They are a freshman student and the book was given by their professor. They are advised to not skip over challenging questions and to remember that first year courses are an equalizer. They may also consider using more challenging textbooks like Kleppner/Kolenkow or Purcell if they feel the material is not challenging enough.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Theres a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If there's 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?
I am freshman student.And the book is given by our professor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Theres a textbook "Principle of Physics" by Jearl Walker,David Halliday,Robert Resnick 10th edition.I can do most of the questions easily.Like If there's 25 question I can do 22 most likely.
Is this book too easy ? Whats my level ? Should buy something heavier and more challenging ?

That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.

Likes Arman777
ZapperZ said:
That is a HUGE book. Are you saying that you've gone through the entire book, at that is the rate that you can do all of the problems?

Zz.

I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(theres 44 chapters)

Arman777 said:
I covered till gravitation (which is chapter 13 , cause we covered that much subject in the first semester).So I can do the questions as a rate I described above.20/25 more or less.
Second semester we will do electromagnetism.

(theres 44 chapters)

So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.

Likes Arman777
ZapperZ said:
So let's wait till you've covered a significant portion of the book before claiming that the text is easy.

Zz.

Oh I see...It will took several years or maybe even next year we will use another book.I don't know.But as you said If its Huge book then so far its great I guess.

Thanks

I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.

Its challenging and I am trying to solve every problem.

I am not trying to prove here that I am so smart and book is too easy.I wanted to know the textbook level cause It will tell me my approximate level of solving problems.Whıch as Zapper pointed out.The book is great.Thats enough for me

If book was easy then I couldn't know my level.Now I can say something about it.
Choppy said:
I might offer a few words of caution. First, it's those 3 to 5 questions that you don't get that will come back to bite you. Don't skip over them. Figure them out. Second, remember that first year university courses are very much an equalizer. Student skills will vary depending on the quality of their high school education and degree of self-preparation. Some students will find a lot of the work review. Others will struggle to catch up. A lot of this can depend on the particular chapter the professor is covering. Usually by second year most students are breaking new ground.

With that said, if you're not finding you course challenging enough, then talk to your professor about what textbooks you might be using in your second year classes and start working through them.

Arman777 said:

Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it a lot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.

clope023 said:
Halliday, Walker, and Resnick is a Freshman/Sophmore level book; great book though, I like it a lot better than its counterpart by Young and Friedman.

Thanks.Its really great book, we have a great professor also

In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.

Likes CalcNerd and Arman777
jtbell said:
In the US, Halliday/Resnick/Walker is a very common first year university physics textbook, and reflects the general level of those courses here.

Some "elite" schools teach the course at a higher level using e.g. Kleppner/Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M. If you aren't feeling sufficiently challenged you might look at those books.

I see,I ll look them thanks

1. What factors determine my level of physics according to the textbook?

The main factors that determine your level of physics according to the textbook are your understanding of basic mathematical concepts, your knowledge of fundamental physics principles, your ability to apply those principles to solve problems, and your familiarity with the terminology and notation used in the field.

2. How can I improve my level of physics according to the textbook?

The best way to improve your level of physics according to the textbook is to consistently practice solving problems, review and reinforce your understanding of key concepts, and seek help or clarification when needed. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on activities and experiments to gain a deeper understanding of the material.

3. Is my level of physics according to the textbook a reflection of my intelligence?

No, your level of physics according to the textbook is not solely determined by your intelligence. While some natural aptitude for math and science may be helpful, it is possible to improve your understanding and proficiency in physics through hard work, dedication, and effective study habits.

4. Can my level of physics according to the textbook change over time?

Yes, your level of physics according to the textbook can change over time. With continued practice and learning, you can improve your understanding and proficiency in the subject. It is also important to note that your level of physics may differ depending on the specific topic or concept being studied.

5. How does my level of physics according to the textbook affect my future career or education?

Your level of physics according to the textbook can have a significant impact on your future career or education. Many fields, such as engineering, require a strong understanding of physics principles. Additionally, a higher level of physics knowledge can make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs or graduate programs. It is important to continue to develop and improve your understanding of physics in order to succeed in these areas.