What's my name?

honestrosewater
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

What's my name??

Several PFers recently mentioned that they think they're bad at remembering names. I'm wondering how other people do on this test, because I think I'm good with names and performed horribly at first.

You 'meet' 8 people. You're shown their picture, they tell you their name, and you try to recall their names at the end.
I got only 1 full name, 1 last name, and 1 first name on my 1st try, but I repeated this step and missed only 1 first name on my 4th try.​
The game continues. You are given tips for remembering names and meet another 8 people. Same deal.
In the second group of 8, I skipped one guy accidentally, but got almost everyone's name right on the 1st try - quite effortlessly (1 first name and 1 last name were a bit off, but I remembered the clues!). The tips really helped. :biggrin:

Click on http://www.pbs.org/saf/1402/ [Broken] [center, bottom]. Good luck! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I got 3 + 1/2 + 1/2 the first time, 7 + 1/2 the second. These types of tips help with everything too, like remembering where you put something or remembering little things stuff for a test.

I got 4 full names right. Apparently I either remember all of it, or none of it.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Smurf said:
I got 4 full names right. Apparently I either remember all of it, or none of it.
Did you go on to the second part?

No, I get bored easily.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Meh, the audio part isn't working for me. I clicked on "hear name" and it told me I can only hear the name once, but it never said the name! :grumpy:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Meh, the audio part isn't working for me. I clicked on "hear name" and it told me I can only hear the name once, but it never said the name! :grumpy:
I don't doubt your intelligence, buuut are your speakers on and the volume up? :tongue2: If everything's in order, I guess this will just be a bit more challenging for you.

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
I can't play the game because it requires shockwave. Damn proprietary software.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
I don't doubt your intelligence, buuut are your speakers on and the volume up? :tongue2: If everything's in order, I guess this will just be a bit more challenging for you.
Yes. :tongue: It might be that my connection speed is just too slow (it says only spend 10 seconds per face, but the page takes much longer than that to finish loading...does it time out if you spend too long on a face?) Though, I've had problems like this before on quizzes like this one, but if I go back another day, it'll work. At least I'm in good company if dduardo can't play it either. :biggrin: And after I move, I'm going to solve this slow connection problem (the phone company has a 30-day risk-free trial period on DSL, so I'm going to give that a try while researching the cable options there, and deciding if I'm content with the DSL service...oh, it's self-install though, so at the beginning of September, dduardo better be watching the tech forums for my cries of help :biggrin: Oh, wait, if I can't get it connected, I can't cry for help. :frown:).

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
And after I move, I'm going to solve this slow connection problem (the phone company has a 30-day risk-free trial period on DSL, so I'm going to give that a try while researching the cable options there, and deciding if I'm content with the DSL service...oh, it's self-install though, so at the beginning of September, dduardo better be watching the tech forums for my cries of help :biggrin: Oh, wait, if I can't get it connected, I can't cry for help. :frown:).
Don't worry, I installed our DSL; It's a cinch. It doesn't require any more skills than plugging in a phone and installing a program.

I can only remember their first names :mad: