Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's needed in learning QM?

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    What sorts of maths are needed to start learning quantum mechaninc? I found it is very difficult to handle the maths tools~ can anyone give me some raeding about maths in QM?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2
    Differential equations, linear algebra, depending on the level some group theory won't hurt you. For linear algebra, I'm partial to the Friedberg Insel and Spence "Linear Algebra" textbook, although any good quantum mechanics book will have at least a cursory overview of linear algebra. The differential equations are things you'll probably see in your standard university course on the subject.
  4. Jul 30, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

One of the problems of math in QM is the Dirac notation, where column vectors are denoted |z> and row vectors are denoted <z|, and the base field is complex. Even if you already know basic vector space math, that takes some getting used too.
  5. Jul 30, 2005 #4
    is there any book will give an overview of maths used in QM? Be honest I am not good in maths~
  6. Aug 1, 2005 #5
    the mathematics required for QM is not very different from those in E&M, CM or stat mechanics. A few new stuff though, especially operators, hilbert spaces and the like. But i think, don't start on QM if you don't have a good idea of classical physics.
  7. Aug 1, 2005 #6
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  8. Aug 1, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Aug 8, 2005 #8
    O~ I got it THX
  10. Aug 8, 2005 #9
    You'll need everything, except your intuition. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?