What Maths Do You Need to Learn Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter yukcream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary: It depends on the level of the learner. In summary, the mathematics required for learning quantum mechanics includes differential equations, linear algebra, and group theory. A good textbook to start with is "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence. The use of Dirac notation may take some time to get used to. Other important concepts to understand are operators, Hilbert spaces, and classical physics. Recommended books for learning the math involved in quantum mechanics include "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics" by Frederick W. Byron and W. Fuller Robert, and "Mathematical Physics" by Sandri Hassini. Another useful resource is "Dennery and Krzywicki."
yukcream
What sorts of maths are needed to start learning quantum mechaninc? I found it is very difficult to handle the maths tools~ can anyone give me some raeding about maths in QM?

yukyuk

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential equations, linear algebra, depending on the level some group theory won't hurt you. For linear algebra, I'm partial to the Friedberg Insel and Spence "Linear Algebra" textbook, although any good quantum mechanics book will have at least a cursory overview of linear algebra. The differential equations are things you'll probably see in your standard university course on the subject.

One of the problems of math in QM is the Dirac notation, where column vectors are denoted |z> and row vectors are denoted <z|, and the base field is complex. Even if you already know basic vector space math, that takes some getting used too.

is there any book will give an overview of maths used in QM? Be honest I am not good in maths~

the mathematics required for QM is not very different from those in E&M, CM or stat mechanics. A few new stuff though, especially operators, hilbert spaces and the like. But i think, don't start on QM if you don't have a good idea of classical physics.

O~ I got it THX

yukcream said:
What sorts of maths are needed to start learning quantum mechaninc?

You'll need everything, except your intuition. :wink:

marlon

What is quantum mechanics (QM)?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that describes the nature of the universe at a microscopic level.

Why is learning QM important?

Learning QM is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a small scale. It also has many practical applications, such as in technology and medicine.

What are the basic concepts of QM?

The basic concepts of QM include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These concepts explain the behavior of particles at a quantum level and are essential for understanding QM.

What skills are needed to learn QM?

To learn QM, one needs a strong understanding of mathematics, especially linear algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to have a good grasp of classical mechanics and electromagnetism, as QM builds upon these theories.

How can one improve their understanding of QM?

To improve understanding of QM, one can engage in active learning methods such as solving problems and explaining concepts to others. It is also beneficial to read textbooks and scientific papers written by experts in the field.