Advice on Chemical Engineering for A-Levels Student

• Thread starter maylyn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of choosing a career path in engineering, particularly chemical engineering. The individual is currently studying physics, mathematics, further mathematics, and chemistry in college and is seeking advice on making a decision. The advice given is to remain flexible and open-minded, as many engineering programs offer a flexible first year and a specific degree does not limit one to a certain job. It is also recommended to explore non-technical interests. The key takeaway is to not stress about making a decision now and to have a positive attitude towards career opportunities.
maylyn
I'm currently doing cambridge a-levels in college. The subjects that i have chosen are physics, mathematics , further mathematics and chemistry. Chemistry and maths are my favourite subjects and I'm considering taking chemical engineering in the future.. but i m still quite undecided at the moment . can anyone please give me some useful piece of advice? thanks:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey maylyn and welcome to the forums.

In terms of advice, my advice to you is to remain flexible in your thinking.

Chances are you will not have a good idea specifically of what you want to get into, and this is a normal thing. Many engineering programs, at least my country have a flexible first year where you do foundational physics, chemistry and math and don't lock you into a specific stream.

On top of that, a particular degree or pathway does not mean you have to do a certain specific job. If you read other posts on this forum you will see what I mean.

Also it can be a good idea to get acquainted with things that are non-technical. It may not make sense now, but it often helps in unexpected ways.

So yes, don't be stressed about having to make this kind of decision now, and if your flexible and have a good attitude, then that will be a good basis for getting anywhere in any field.

1. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for a degree in Chemical Engineering?

To prepare for a degree in Chemical Engineering, it is important to take courses in mathematics, chemistry, physics, and biology. These subjects are the foundation of chemical engineering and will provide you with a strong understanding of the principles and concepts you will encounter in your degree program.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in Chemical Engineering?

In addition to a strong background in math and science, successful chemical engineers also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, strong communication skills, and the ability to work in a team. A deep understanding of chemistry and physics, as well as computer skills and knowledge of industry-specific software, are also important for a career in Chemical Engineering.

3. What types of internships or work experience should I seek as an A-Levels student interested in Chemical Engineering?

As an A-Levels student, it is beneficial to seek out internships or work experiences in the chemical engineering field. This could include opportunities at chemical engineering companies, research labs, or even shadowing a chemical engineer. These experiences will not only give you a better understanding of the industry, but also make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities.

4. How important is it to have a strong understanding of chemistry for a degree in Chemical Engineering?

Chemistry is a fundamental aspect of Chemical Engineering, so having a strong understanding of the subject is crucial for success in the field. Chemical engineers use chemistry principles to design and develop processes for creating products and solving real-world problems. It is important to have a solid foundation in chemistry before pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering.

5. What advice do you have for an A-Levels student who is unsure if Chemical Engineering is the right career choice?

If you are unsure if Chemical Engineering is the right career choice for you, it is important to do some research and gain a better understanding of the field. Talk to current chemical engineering students, professionals, and professors to learn about their experiences and the different paths available in the field. You can also consider taking introductory courses in chemical engineering to see if it is a subject you enjoy and excel in. It is never too late to change your mind, so don't be afraid to explore your options and find the right career path for you.