1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's next?

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    Question: What's next for me? What should I learn next in physics and math?

(I want a career in theoretical physics - phd route).

I've learned:

Physics: Newtonian Mech w/ calc, Griffith's Intro to Electrodynamics, Goldstein's classical mechanics, griffith's intro to quantum mechanics, and Faber's Fluid Dynamics for Physicists.

Math: multivariable calc, diff equations, partial diff equations, lie algebra, and linear algebra.

Thanks for the advise and help in advance! :)

Sincerely,
    shines57

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    Physics: Sounds like you are ready for more advanced QM and GR. Try reading Bransden & Joachain, fo example. For GR, maybe Hartle?

Math: Calculus on manifolds? Differential geomtry would help with GR. Some formal education on functional analysis (Hilbert spaces etc) would probably not hurt for QM either.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    If you want to change topics in Physics then go to Statistical Mechanics/Thermodynamics and Oscillation-Waves-Optics. but if you want to do more on your studied topics [which is from Elementry level books] then go to Marion's Mechanics, Jackson's Electrodynamics and Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics.
    In Mathematics remaining field Analytical Geometry.

5. Nov 26, 2012 #4

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

In what context have you learned these? Undergraduate? Self study? Its an odd range of difficulty of material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook