Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's on your list this year?

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    One thing I dislike most about christmas is the shopping and materialism. I'm poor, and never know what to get family members, which seem to change every 3 years. This usually leads to large amounts of stress this time of year and me wasting countless hours online looking for deals when I should be spending this time on school work. For some reason some people love it, I just don't see why. What is it about driving around in 1ft of snow, getting ticked off in malls and stores with inconsiderate and rude people, while spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars that people like so much? I also don't see the appeal of receiving gifts from family members and friends just because our culture says you have to. If I want something, I'll buy it myself. All I want this year is good health for me and everyone else along with an end to poverty. I'll probably get a steak marinade kit and some cheap cologne instead.

One more thing, does anyone know of some non-personal gifts that I could get step-siblings that are not to expensive? I gave 2-month subscriptions to netflix last year which seemed to go over well, but this year I am out of ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2
    woot.com usually has some pretty good deals on random items.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    I'm not a huge fan of the holidays either. Being a broke college is a pretty good excuse for not buying gifts, guess that won't last forever though. When I do buy gifts I do all of my shopping online, I hate crowds and traffic with a passion. Did anyone see the South Park episode where Cartman bought his own amusement park? I hate crowds as much as Cartman does in that episode.

Hmm, inexpensive non-personal gifts...maybe certificates for free music downloads?

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Socks. I always need new socks.

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5
    And a hand knitted scarf is always great

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's the materialism you dislike, why would you want to buy non-personal gifts for people? Isn't that being awfully materialistic?

Here's the way I do it. There's one special little boy in my life...my nephew. He of course gets plenty of toys, with a focus on the noisiest and messiest ones, because that's what good aunts do. :biggrin: In addition to that, a check is written for money to be put into his college fund.

I'm still working on convincing my parents that I'm old enough to not believe in Santa anymore, so really don't need to exchange gifts for the holidays when we live too far apart to have a clue what anyone needs or wants. Last year I did send gifts, because my grandmother had just moved in with them and was having a rough time adjusting to my grandfather's death and the move to live with my parents, etc. All the gifts sent were meant to help them all adjust to the new living arrangements. A nice throw blanket for my grandmother who thinks my parents keep their house way too cold for her, some jigsaw puzzles for them to do together so they had something to keep occupied, gift certificates for them all to go out to dinner together, and some fishing lures for my step-dad so he could escape when my mom and grandma started driving him bonkers.

I give a few gifts to coworkers who have been especially helpful to me during the year. It's more a token of thanks than a Christmas gift.

Otherwise, no gifts. My boyfriend and I don't exchange any gifts at all...instead I pay for the gas, parking and train into the city to get there (or airfare if I decide to fly instead of drive out there), and he gives me the subway card to get around once in the city, and pays for all our meals together and any other things we decide to do.

8. Nov 26, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gift certificates often get a bad rap but I think they're very good because it enables a person to get exactly what they want.

I'm normally happy with a DVD or blu-ray of some sort. I got one for my birthday and a little bit of cash and Christmas will probably be the same.

9. Nov 26, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two times I think gift certificates are a good idea. One is if it's for a restaurant. You're really buying them a dinner out, which is fairly specific, especially if it's for their favorite restaurant. The other is if you know they're trying to save up for something more expensive than your gift-giving budget allows. Getting them a gift certificate to the store that sells that item means they can put it toward the thing you know they want rather than waste money buying something inexpensive they don't need or want. Otherwise, I think they just mean that someone couldn't be bothered to know you well enough to buy something you'd enjoy but for some reason still felt obligated to give a gift.

10. Nov 26, 2008 #9
    Personally I think Christmas should be replaced with "surprise day". An international commitee would each year come up with a new purpose, theme and execution of surprise day. This information will be released to the public exactly three days (this is very important) before commencing celebration. Would make the holidays a bit more interesting dontcha think? ^^

11. Nov 26, 2008 #10
    I never know what to buy others, even my own family. I usually just get something so they will have something. I figure most of my family already has what they want so why buy more for them. My mother is a different story. She expects me to get her gifts to show her I love her...she even told me that once. It kinda makes it hard when we don't have much money. I don't really need anything, but will ask for the new Guns n' Roses Chinese Democracy CD this year and a pair of oven mits.

12. Nov 26, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I am all ways short of motorbike socks, i wear them in bed to keep my aged feet warm,
    then wear them thin traipsing about the country side.

13. Nov 26, 2008 #12

Evo

I REALLY need one of those!

14. Nov 26, 2008 #13
    A girlfriend... =P

15. Nov 26, 2008 #14

Evo

Gift certificates or store cards are good if it's for an employee, teacher, etc... where cash wouldn't be appropriate, and you don't know them well enough to buy them something. What gradeschool teacher needs another ceramic apple? Personally I like the American Express gift checks, you can use them anywhere for anything, they are like cash. My company is giving those out again. WOOHOO!!! They're nice looking and come in a gift envelope.

16. Nov 26, 2008 #15

Vid

I love woot. Last weeks woot-off was definitely the best way to do holiday shopping. I also get most of my t-shirts from there.

17. Nov 26, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since when is cash not appropriate for an employee? Who needs a silly gift card, just give employees the Christmas bonus they really want. As for teachers, who ever came up with that idea of giving presents to teachers at the end of the year? I can't even imagine what they must do with all the junk their students give them. Maybe they save it all up for a yard sale every few years? :uhh:

18. Nov 26, 2008 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of my teachers used to get whisky and wine from some of my class mates. I bet they enjoyed that. :biggrin:

19. Nov 27, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: Are you serious? Were those kids that bad that their parents thought they needed to send the teacher lots of alcohol to forget about them when the year was done?

20. Nov 27, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We weren't exceptionally bad. I did go to public school though so that probably explains it.

21. Nov 27, 2008 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't celebrate Christmas really. I do plan on making my dad my personal hand made pizza (top-notch). For my mom, I'll bring something nice to the Christmas diner she's having.

I hope no one buys me anything this year. My family is more understanding about the fact that I don't celebrate Christmas now. Not sure why it's only changing now. It's been years.

Anyways, that's me. Nothing on my list.

A girl that I'm dating is insisting that I get her a gift for Christmas. I'm not particularly fond about that at all. I would rather go see a Christmas theatre play or something for fun because that's what I like doing (going to shows). Yeah, it bothers me a little. Basically, it's enforcing me to do something I don't do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?