1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats on your time table?

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Just curious, what do physicists usually take on top of the regular course work?

Myself, being enrolled in chemical physics have the following time table this year:

Organic Chemistry I & II
    Advanced Calculus w/ Vector Analysis
    Waves and Oscillations, then Electrodynamics
    Physical Chemistry (aka Thermodynamics then Quantum Chemistry)
    Abstract Math then Linear Algebra II

So I know most physics do the 2 maths and 2 physics, but what electives do you usually do?

I was thinking of taking a bird course next year... cuz this is pretty hard. Do grad schools care that u take 1-2 bird courses per yr?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's a 'bird course'?

When I look at applicants to our program, in general I don't care about the overwhelming majority of courses because everyone takes them- and that includes many of the elective classes. If there's an obvious oddball, I'll ask why they took it- that includes non-physics oddball classes. I also always ask what their least favorite class was, why it was their least favorite, and what they would do differently to prevent that situation for reoccuring.
  4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Bird course: a course you can fly by with no effort, ie. a easy filler course.

What I mean is I want to do say 3-4 real physics classes and have an extra I don't really have to study for. I can't handle doing 3+ sciences anymore, so I'm wondering if filling them in with off topic courses would affect grad status.
  5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh. Ok.

Well, personally, it makes no difference to me when interviewing candidates. OTOH, if the off-topic courses are structured in a coherent way that reflects an underlying interest in a particular field of study, that's potentially interesting and useful because it shows that the applicant has curiosity as well as focus.
  6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    I am completing my second year..

This semester:
    Linear Algebra
    Mechanics & SR

and 4 labs to go along. It's tiring!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?