Exact Solution for Sin(1) in Radians | Using Integers to Express Real Numbers

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of expressing certain numbers, such as sin(1) and 1.215987456321, as a sum or combination of integers. It is mentioned that while trigonometric functions of fractions of pi can give algebraic answers, transcendental numbers like pi and e cannot be expressed completely. It is also mentioned that any finite decimal number can be written as a fraction, but it is not possible to express any number using only integers with a finite number of operations.
rootX
1. Is there an exact solution for sin(1)?
1 is in radians.

I thought about using linear approximation, like for point 0. But that wouldn't give the exact value.

2. Can we express any real number using some integers?
Like sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)/4 = some real number.
eg. how would express this real number in integers:
1.215987456321?

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
1.You could express sin(1) as the sum of the series 1 - 1/3! + 1/5! - 1/7! + 1/9!...

2. What do you mean by "using some integers"?

nicktacik said:
1.You could express sin(1) as the sum of the series 1 - 1/3! + 1/5! - 1/7! + 1/9!...

2. What do you mean by "using some integers"?

Oh yes, I was awared of the series, but I didn't want to use them. Couldn't we express it as like sqrt(2)+1/6!?

2. some integers like 2.280238966 =sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)/2 [so, 2,3 are integers i was talking about]

Only trig functions of fractions of pi give algerbraic answers.

Algerbraic numbers are those that can be written with a (finite) series of fractions or roots. Transcendental numbers such as 'pi' and 'e' cannot be written down completely.
A rational number can be written as a fraction, so any finite decimal number can always be written as a fraction.
eg. 2.280238966 = 2280238966/10000000000

Essentially, you seem to be asking if any number can be expressed using only integers with a finite number of multiplication, addition, and power functions. The answer is no.

Last edited:
nicktacik said:
Essentially, you seem to be asking if any number can be expressed only using only integers with a finite number of multiplication, addition, and power functions. The answer is no.

yes, that's what I was trying to ask.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is the value of sin(1)?

The value of sin(1) is approximately 0.84147, when measured in radians.

2. How do you calculate sin(1)?

The sine of a number can be calculated by using a scientific calculator or by using a mathematical formula involving the unit circle.

3. What does the sin(1) function represent?

The sin(1) function represents the ratio of the length of the side opposite to the angle of 1 radian in a right triangle, to the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle.

4. Why is sin(1) important in mathematics?

Sin(1) is a fundamental function in trigonometry and is used to solve various problems involving right triangles and circular motion.

5. Can the value of sin(1) be negative?

Yes, the value of sin(1) can be negative, as it depends on the quadrant in which the angle of 1 radian is measured. In the first and second quadrants, the sine function is positive, while in the third and fourth quadrants, it is negative.