What's the acceleration of our galaxy?

In summary: Depending on the frame of reference, one could say that Andromeda is moving towards us, or that we are moving towards Andromeda, or both. However, the general consensus is that both galaxies are moving towards each other due to the force of gravity between them.
Lucretius
I know that the velocity of our galaxy towards Andromeda is approximately 300,000km/s, but how quickly does this velocity change? Or can we tell given our relatively short time observing the sky?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Acceleration requires a force, which force is acclerating the Milky Way towards Andromeda? The only force that could conceivably be signifcant is gravity.

A simple back of the envelope caluclation (pretty rough and ready, could easiy be an order of magnitude out), reveals the acceration due to the Andromeda galaxy's gravity of the Milky Way is approx. 3 x 10^-21 ms^-2.

jcsd said:
Acceleration requires a force, which force is acclerating the Milky Way towards Andromeda? The only force that could conceivably be signifcant is gravity.

A simple back of the envelope caluclation (pretty rough and ready, could easiy be an order of magnitude out), reveals the acceration due to the Andromeda galaxy's gravity of the Milky Way is approx. 3 x 10^-21 ms^-2.

I believe the velocity that the Andromeda galaxy is accelerating towards the Milky Way is 50 kilometers a second, i could be wrong though.

vincentm said:
I believe the velocity that the Andromeda galaxy is accelerating towards the Milky Way is 50 kilometers a second, i could be wrong though.

The acceleration would be approximately half what I quoted above for the Milky Way (i.e. a lot less than 50 km/s^-2).

btw I just checked Lucretius's original figure, the two galaxies are traveling towards each other at 300,000 mph rather than 300,000 km/s.

Lucretius said:
I know that the velocity of our galaxy towards Andromeda is approximately 300,000km/s

jcsd already noted this, but that's much too large. 300,000 km/s is the speed of light.

the acceration due to the Andromeda galaxy's gravity of the Milky Way is approx. 3 x 10^-21 ms^-2.

Are you just using Newton's law of gravity? If so, what numbers are you using? With 1012 solar masses for Andromeda and a megaparsec separation, I'm getting it to be about a factor of a billion less:

[tex]a \sim 10^{-13}~m/s^2[/tex]

My number is more like what I would expect, since accelerating at that rate for the age of the universe produces a velocity:

[tex]v \sim at_u \sim (10^{-13}~m/s^2)(10^{10}~years) \sim 100~km/s[/tex]

which is of the same order of magnitude as the current velocity between the galaxies.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that the masses of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are still very uncertain, so estimates of the acceleration would be as well.

BTW: The unit calculator in my signature makes these calculations a lot easier. :biggrin:

In the book "The Alchemy of the Heavens" by Ken Croswell it states that the Andromeda galaxy approaches the Milky Way 6.4 million miles (10.4 Mkm) every day.

I think we can assume that the acceleration is extremely small and a velocity of 100 km/s would achieve 8.6 Mkm. A reasonably good agreement.

In answer to the first post: the acceleration won't change, but the velocity will. This could be determined by the change in blue-shift (as it is approaching us).

SpaceTiger said:
jcsd already noted this, but that's much too large. 300,000 km/s is the speed of light.

You know what I didn't even notice it was the speed of light (anything other than SI units just don't mean anythign to me even when the conversion is trivial)!

Are you just using Newton's law of gravity? If so, what numbers are you using? With 1012 solar masses for Andromeda and a megaparsec separation, I'm getting it to be about a factor of a billion less:

[tex]a \sim 10^{-13}~m/s^2[/tex]

My number is more like what I would expect, since accelerating at that rate for the age of the universe produces a velocity:

[tex]v \sim at_u \sim (10^{-13}~m/s^2)(10^{10}~years) \sim 100~km/s[/tex]

which is of the same order of magnitude as the current velocity between the galaxies.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that the masses of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are still very uncertain, so estimates of the acceleration would be as well.

BTW: The unit calculator in my signature makes these calculations a lot easier. :biggrin:

I used 2.5 million light years and 12 x 10^12 solar masses, so yes I have made an error in my caculation (I used google cacualtor to convert the units and windows calcualtor to calculate).

Kino said:
In answer to the first post: the acceleration won't change, but the velocity will. This could be determined by the change in blue-shift (as it is approaching us).

Actually, the acceleration will change. As the two galaxies draw closer together, the force of gravity between them will increase. So when the distance between them has halved its present value, that value of [itex]a \sim 10^{-13}~m/s^2[/itex] will have increased by a factor of four.

Is Andromeda moving towards us, or are we moving towards it? I think it's both moving towards each other, right?

It's all relative.

What is the acceleration of our galaxy?

The acceleration of our galaxy, the Milky Way, is approximately 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000024 meters per second squared. This acceleration is caused by the gravitational pull of other galaxies and dark matter.

How is the acceleration of our galaxy measured?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the acceleration of our galaxy, including studying the motions of stars and galaxies, analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation, and using computer simulations.

What factors affect the acceleration of our galaxy?

The acceleration of our galaxy is affected by the distribution of matter and energy within the universe, including the presence of dark matter and dark energy. It is also influenced by the gravitational pull of neighboring galaxies and cosmic structures.

Has the acceleration of our galaxy always been the same?

No, the acceleration of our galaxy has changed over time. Scientists believe that the acceleration of the expansion of the universe has been increasing due to the influence of dark energy.

Is the acceleration of our galaxy important for our daily lives?

The acceleration of our galaxy may not directly affect our daily lives, but it is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and helps us to better understand the origin and evolution of the cosmos.