Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the angle at infinity?

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    Suppose we have the following shape in the complex plane: The EXTERIOR of the semi-infinite strip bounded by 0 < y < 1 and x > 0. The two physical angles making up the rectangle have interior angles of 3*pi/2 and thus exterior angles of -pi/2.

Now, because the sum of the exterior angles of a polygon have to sum to 2pi, we can claim that the exterior angle at infinity is simply 2pi - (-pi/2 - pi/2) = 3pi.

However, I'm having trouble justifying this geometrically. I've looked at projecting the surface onto the Riemann sphere, but the exterior angle at infinity simply seems to be either pi or -pi. I see no reason why it has to do an additional orbit of 2pi.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How many non-overlapping triangles can you determine in the polygon? Each triangle contains sum of the interior angles being [tex]\pi[/tex] radians.
  4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    How do you imagine triangles on an infinite domain? I don't see how this helps...
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?