1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the best degree for me?

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    I would ultimately like to be involved in the experiment side of Physics. Creating, checking, repairing, and analyzing the experiments. I'm confused if this description gives way to Engineering or not. I know a handful of Engineers (3 ME's, 1 Aerospace Eng, 1 Comp Eng) and only the AE does the type of work that I would like. He's in the R&D dept of the company and has his Master's in AE. The others are either designing the way a product looks or managing, both of which, according to them, "require barely any knowledge of Engineering." I do not want to fall in the second group. So I'm a little reluctant to major in Engineering.

Currently, I'm 27 and a freshman. There's no hurry to my decision because all the classes are the same for a year. I don't know if I have a PhD in me or not, which as I research this I am finding out is almost required for Physics. A Master's would be more realistic. So, what's the best degree for my goals, Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    No takers?

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Just do Aerospace Engineering, the Industry is booming right now! Here below is one of the best Aeronautical University in the States. You can always Double Major in Engineering and in Physics if you really love both of them so bad. Look into it.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
    http://www.erau.edu/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?