What's the best degree for me?

• Programs
  • Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interest in being involved in the experimental side of physics and their confusion about whether this aligns more with engineering or physics. They mention knowing engineers who do similar work and express their reluctance to major in engineering if it doesn't align with their goals. They are currently a freshman in college and are considering their options for a degree, including engineering, physics, and applied physics. Another person suggests pursuing aerospace engineering and provides a recommended university to look into.
DrummingAtom
I would ultimately like to be involved in the experiment side of Physics. Creating, checking, repairing, and analyzing the experiments. I'm confused if this description gives way to Engineering or not. I know a handful of Engineers (3 ME's, 1 Aerospace Eng, 1 Comp Eng) and only the AE does the type of work that I would like. He's in the R&D dept of the company and has his Master's in AE. The others are either designing the way a product looks or managing, both of which, according to them, "require barely any knowledge of Engineering." I do not want to fall in the second group. So I'm a little reluctant to major in Engineering.

Currently, I'm 27 and a freshman. There's no hurry to my decision because all the classes are the same for a year. I don't know if I have a PhD in me or not, which as I research this I am finding out is almost required for Physics. A Master's would be more realistic. So, what's the best degree for my goals, Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No takers?

Just do Aerospace Engineering, the Industry is booming right now! Here below is one of the best Aeronautical University in the States. You can always Double Major in Engineering and in Physics if you really love both of them so bad. Look into it.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
http://www.erau.edu/

1. What is the best degree for me?

The best degree for you depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. It's important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and that aligns with your long-term career aspirations.

2. Should I choose a degree based on job availability or salary potential?

Both job availability and salary potential are important factors to consider when choosing a degree. However, it's also important to choose a degree that you are interested in and that will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired career path.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized degree or a broad degree?

It depends on your career goals. If you have a specific career in mind, a specialized degree may be the best option as it will provide you with in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular field. However, if you are unsure of your future career path, a broad degree may offer more flexibility and a wide range of career opportunities.

4. How important is the reputation of the university for my degree?

The reputation of the university can be important, but it's not the only factor to consider. The quality of education, resources, and opportunities offered by the university should also be taken into account. It's also important to choose a university that aligns with your personal values and goals.

5. Can I switch degrees if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch degrees if you change your mind. However, it's important to consider the potential impact on your academic progress and the time and financial commitments involved. It's best to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision on a degree.