Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the cause of hiccups?

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

What's the cause?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good place to find out is with a web search using the key words: hiccup (or hiccough) & cause.
    (sidenote: a hiccup can result in your face doing this :surprised)

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

I did it but I didn't find any particular reason for that. I already knew what I found!

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know that much about hiccups. I seem to recall I may get them if I eat or drink too fast. What do you already know about their cause?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  6. Sep 27, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

s it hiccup or hiccough?

7. Sep 28, 2005 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They're synonyms..

8. Sep 28, 2005 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Both spellings are in use. Hiccough is older, I believe, but is pronounced the same as hiccup.

9. Sep 28, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Depends who you ask.
    The most entertaining answer will probably come from a psychanalyst.

10. Oct 2, 2005 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

http://vava.essortment.com/hiccupyawncaus_rqxr.htm And I think crying alot could be a cause as well.But in my case these aren't the cause sometimes! :eek:

11. Oct 2, 2005 #10

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ahhh, I am glad you elaborated, initially I was thinking you wondered what was the biological cause (mechanism) of hiccups.. But it seems you were wondering about external factors. Your reference mentions a few of these: "eating too fast, indigestion and laughing a lot, thereby inhaling and exhaling air erratically."

Another reference is more hesitant to call them causes:

The 2nd and 3rd items reminds me, if I eat a large spoonful of peanut butter (high in oil), it invariably causes erratic hiccups. This one is a reflex to protect from choking. Washing down with some beverage alleviates that kind of hiccup.

For the run of the mill repetitive hiccups; when I was little to stop them, I would hold my breath and count to 20. But sometimes I would hiccup while counting (epiglottis opens involuntarily) :surprised and I would have to start over. Today I use a variation of that method which works nicely. Very slowly drink a full glass of water without taking a breath. When we drink (or eat) the epiglottis stays closed as a protective mechanism to keep food and beverages out of our respiratory tract. This makes it much easier to hold your breath and stop the hiccups.

12. Oct 3, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Interesting! :smile:

Oh yeah, I use this method too. But there are other methods as well. If someone frighten you suddenly(not so badly that causes a worse problem for you), tell you something surprising/alittle shocking or stuff like that, it work very well too. Sometimes I even know that the person is going to surprise me in order to stop the hiccups but it still works! For example once I wanted to go out at 7 and I knew I wasn't late, but my MOm told me "Don't you want to go? It's 7." :eek:

13. Oct 4, 2005 #12

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is interesting.. I do remember hearing about that too. It seems the emotion of surprise does put an end to hiccups by way of the vagus nerve. When you overwhelm this nerve, we stop hiccupping. Here is a ref1 that describe it and a few more remedies.

So what is the vagus nerve? Why does it stop hiccups?
    Here's one definition of its function: "The vagus nerves control the esophageal motor responses to deglutition"ref2 Hmmmm??? :bugeye:

I think I like the explanation on howstuffworks (ref1) better "The vagus nerve signals the brain that more important matters have arisen, so it's time to knock off the hiccups. " :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?