What is the Column Effect in Trusses?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Column
In summary, column effects are caused by buckling of a column under compression. Buckling can occur suddenly, and the more compression you apply, the more it will buckle. The buckling can be avoided by using the middle third rule, and by reducing the strength of a column when its slenderness ratio exceeds a certain limit.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
What's the "column effect"?

Reading about trusses, it says

Often, compression members must be made thicker than tension members because of the buckling or column effect that occurs when a member is in compression

I'm not sure what's the "column effect". There's no wiki entry and Google seems to show me many results that don't provide the definition...

Engineering news on Phys.org

Take a single sheet of paper.

Stand it on edge on the table (you can hold it) and pressdown gently on the top.

What happens?

The paper bows or bulges around about the middle. This is called buckling.
The more you press, the more it buckles. Also the taller and thinner the structural element the more easily this happens.

Obviously a stretched string, (which is a tension device) cannot do this. The more you stretch the straighter the string becomes.

It is clearly undesirable for a structural component carrying compression, such as a column or wall or whatever, to buckle under the compression load. Worse this can happen suddenly without warning.

The posh (correct) term for the effect is 'buckling instability'.
The term for how tall and thin the element is is 'slenderness ratio'

go well

I don't know what you book you are reading but this one makes really easy going.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/sortby/3/an/A+J+Francis+/tn/+Introducing+Structures

Last edited:

So buckling and column effect are the same thing?

I'm reading Hibbeler's Statics 12th ed.

I've never heard the term "column effect" used in my own field of mech engineering, though we are certainly are concerned about buckling.

Readiing a few results found by Google, I think the "column effect" means the fact that the transverse (sideways) stiffness of a column (a bar carrying a compressive load) is reduced as the compressive load increases.

"Buckling" occurs when the transverse stiffness reduces to zero, and the column can "flip out sideways" into a curved shape without any sideways load being applied to it.

Usually you want to avoid the load ever reaching the buckling condition, because the structure would then fail in some way. But the reduction of transverse stiffness occurs to some degree for any level of compressive load, so if you have a structural member with combination of compressive and transverse loads (a so-called "beam column") the stiffness reduction can not be ignored for loads that would not cause buckling.

I see. I'll just take it to mean a pre-buckling condition or something. Thanks :)

It might be column imperfection (Side effects), that during fabrication, pouring (if concrete), etc, there might be small deviation from what was required such as:
small eccentricity, little sloping, non straight column due to opening in form work, etc...

Look for column side effects and imperfection

Regards

If the column loading is either eccentric to the axis or not parallel to the axis then additional considerations come into play. This is not, however elementary stuff.
Civil and building engineers use 'the middle third rule' to avoid this problem (google it if you like).

Secondly most building codes have some sort of strength reduction factors to apply when the slenderness ratio exceeds somewhere between 10 and 15. Again this is not elementary stuff.

What is the column effect?

The column effect refers to the phenomenon of different elements or substances separating or settling into distinct layers within a container or column. This can occur due to differences in density, solubility, or other physical properties.

What causes the column effect?

The column effect is caused by a combination of gravity and the physical properties of the substances involved. Heavier substances will sink to the bottom while lighter substances will rise to the top, creating distinct layers.

How is the column effect used in scientific research?

The column effect is used in various scientific techniques, such as chromatography and centrifugation, to separate and analyze different substances. It is also used in geology to explain the formation of layers in rocks and soil.

What are some real-life examples of the column effect?

A classic example of the column effect is the layering of oil and water in a jar. Other examples include the separation of blood components in a centrifuge and the layering of sediment in a body of water.

Can the column effect be reversed?

In some cases, the column effect can be reversed by applying external forces, such as stirring or heating the mixture. However, in most cases, the column effect is a natural and irreversible process that occurs due to the laws of physics.