Lz: A Convenient but Arbitrary Choice in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter mattlorig
  • Start date
In summary, Lz is a way to say that if we measure the angular momentum of an electron about a certain axis (which we'll call z) it can only have values of ml*hbar, and once we know what Lz is, we can't possibly know anything about Lx and Ly.
mattlorig
In the hydrogen atom, I believe most people are familiar with the following three equations:
L^2 (psi) = l*(l+1)*hbar^2*(psi)
Lz (psi) = ml*hbar*(psi)
H (psi) = -1/n^2*junk*(psi)
where L^2, Lz, and H are the linear operators for total angular momentum squared, angular momentum about the z-axis, and energy. I'm comfortable with eigenvalues, eigenvectors, etc. The thing I don't understand, however, is what Lz really is. Since our choice of axes is completely arbitrary, I could have just as easily chosen Lx to be Lz. But of course, if I know Lz, I can not possibly know anything about Lx (other than, perhaps, its maximum value).

I gues what I'm asking is the following: is Lz just a way to say, that if we were to measure the angular momentum of an electron about a certain axis (which we'll call z) it can only have values of ml*hbar, and once we know what Lz is, we can't possibly know anything about Lx and Ly?

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could straighten this out for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, our choice of axes is of course completely arbitrary.

[itex]L_x,L_y[/itex] and [itex]L_z[/itex] do not commute, but they DO commute with [itex]L^2[/itex]. So we can find a complete basis of eigenvectors common to [itex]L^2[/itex] and an axis. So we have to make a choice, [itex]L_z[/itex] is used for convenience.

If you measured [itex]L_z[/itex], then the electron will be in an eigenstate of [itex]L_z[/itex]. Now try to see what the probabilities are of getting [itex]m_l\hbar[/itex] when measuring [itex]L_x[/itex].
(Use [itex]L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_++L_-)[/itex])

Galileo said:
Yes, our choice of axes is of course completely arbitrary.
[itex]L_x,L_y[/itex] and [itex]L_z[/itex] do not commute, but they DO commute with [itex]L^2[/itex]. So we can find a complete basis of eigenvectors common to [itex]L^2[/itex] and an axis. So we have to make a choice, [itex]L_z[/itex] is used for convenience.
If you measured [itex]L_z[/itex], then the electron will be in an eigenstate of [itex]L_z[/itex]. Now try to see what the probabilities are of getting [itex]m_l\hbar[/itex] when measuring [itex]L_x[/itex].
(Use [itex]L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_++L_-)[/itex])

Sorry,Galileo,but i just couldn't help myself. :tongue2:
So,this convention is one of the many more encountered in physics.Think about the old famous conventions regarding the magnetic field (induction) [itex] \vec{B} [/itex].Both in electrodynamics (charged particle in magnetic/electromagnetic field) and in QM (Zeeman effect (normal/anomal)) it's always chosen along "Oz(=Ox_{3})" axis.I don't know why,i never met the guys who did that. :wink: You'll have to accept it,the same way you accepted those wicked conventions in geometrical optics,that convention for the sign of work in thermodynamics and many more.

A physicist's mind is twisted in uncountable ways... :cool:

Daniel.

Last edited:

What is Lz?

Lz, also known as Lempel-Ziv, is a data compression algorithm used to reduce the size of files or data without losing any information. It is commonly used in computer science and data storage.

How does Lz work?

Lz works by analyzing the data and finding repeating patterns. It then replaces these patterns with a code, which is much shorter in length than the original data. This allows for more efficient storage and transmission of the data.

What are the benefits of using Lz?

The main benefit of using Lz is that it allows for more efficient use of storage space and faster transmission of data. This can be especially useful for large files or when transferring data over a network.

Are there any drawbacks to using Lz?

One potential drawback of using Lz is that it requires more processing power and time to compress and decompress data. This may not be noticeable for small files, but it can become a problem for larger, more complex data sets.

Is Lz the only compression algorithm available?

No, there are many different compression algorithms available, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Lz is just one of the many options and may be more suitable for certain types of data or applications.