Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the difference between t=0 singularity and the singularity in a black hole ?

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    I just don't see how they can be the same, if singulariity t=0 eventually went all berserk (due to quantum repulsive force perhaps) or whatever other reason like it actually did why is it not happening inside of black holes?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2
    Re: Whats the difference between t=0 singularity and the singularity in a black hole

I believe there are certain theories that say this IS happening inside black holes. Or at least, GR does not forbid the existence of another universe within the confines of a spinning black hole.

This leads to all sorts of neat ideas, i.e. the holographic projection of information at the event horizon boundary could be analogized to say that WE are the 3 dimensional projected image of 2-dimensional information at the boundary of OUR universe.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Whats the difference between t=0 singularity and the singularity in a black hole

Nice you just messed up my brain even more with this idea. Gonna go sleep and dream about this holographic projection.

ty sir!!!

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

Your question implies the existance of a T=0 singularity and black hole singularities, both of which have no factual basis. As far as I can tell from reading PF, singularities are predicted mathematically but are widely believed to be the result of problems with our cosmo models and related math. All of which makes answering your question pretty dang hard...

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A singularity identifies the point where all our models cease to yield sensible results. That is sufficient motivation to seek new models.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #6

But singualrities are resolved into a quanurtm bounce in many quantum gravity models. Main one being LQG but also I think Horava gravity. I read Martin Bojowalds book and its pretty clear to me what they are saying for the big bang. But I still want sure what is supposed tgo be happeneing in balck holes with these models. Bojowald didnt seem keen on CNS in his book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook