Comparing Book A & B: Which to Read First?

• Thread starter bigmike94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the books are about different aspects of differential geometry. It is more natural to study the one to the right first, or "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Tapp.
bigmike94
Summary: Would somebody be kind enough to explain the difference between these books and what order would be most natural to read them in. Thank you

9933A36E-2018-4861-AB64-560F442A270F.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you used an Amazon Books search to "Look Inside" at the Table of Contents of each of those books? Not all books have the Look Inside feature at Amazon, but quite a few do. I use that feature often.

berkeman said:
Have you used an Amazon Books search to "Look Inside" at the Table of Contents of each of those books? Not all books have the Look Inside feature at Amazon, but quite a few do. I use that feature often.
Ive got both samples on kindle and can see the contents. But I am still not sure about which one should be read first or if they’re the same thing but different names.

I had a similar issue before I did multivariable calculus, I was searching for the difference between calculus 3, multivariable calculus, multivariate calculus, vector calculus etc etc. at the time I didn’t really know they was more or less the same thing or at least all contained within one group namely calculus 3

It might be helpful to the readers of this thread if you typed out the title and author and or the ISBNs,
or provided links (from Amazon or Google books).

From the titles alone, "surfaces in Euclidean space" is a special case of "manifolds".

Likes Delta2
The one the right is more "classical" differential geometry not using differntial forms and such and restricted to Euclidean space.

The one to the left is a more modern take on differential geometry and is more "general" (studies manifolds)

It is more natural to study the one to the right first, or "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Tapp.

"Visual Differential Geometry and Forms" by Needham, is more in between those two you listed I'd say.

Likes Delta2, dextercioby and bigmike94
If you want a really good book, get Hubbard "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach"

Expensive as gold, but you should be able to find a used copy of an earlier edition for a cheap penny.
Or, check your library!

All that said, have you done formal real analysis and Topology yet?

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
malawi_glenn said:
If you want a really good book, get Hubbard "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach"

Expensive as gold, but you should be able to find a used copy of an earlier edition for a cheap penny.
Or, check your library!

To second the suggestion above, Hubbard's book is really great. There is a more basic book titled Vector Analysis by Snider, although it does not go into all the topics Hubbard does.

A book at a similar level to Hubbard is, the book by Shifrin. I prefer Shifrin, since it gets to the point, but Hubbard may be better for beginners.

the price for a hardcover of Shifrin's book is extremely high. stick to Hubbard.

Last edited:
Just to notify the moderator that edited the post title, “muestra” isn’t the names of the authors, it’s Spanish for “sample”, they was both samples downloaded on my kindle

Likes robphy and malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:

Or, check your library!

I start topology in October, I originally thought real analysis was needed for topology but apparently for this textbook it’s not a prerequisite. I have linked the textbook below.

Topology for Beginners: A Rigorous Introduction to Set Theory, Topological Spaces, Continuity, Separation, Countability, Metrizability, Compactness, ... Function Spaces, and Algebraic Topology https://amzn.eu/d/8OcmwMl

I am not ready for differential geometry yet and won’t be for awhile I was just trying to create an ordered timeline of what to study and what order etc. sometimes it can be a little confusing

bigmike94 said:
I start topology in October, I originally thought real analysis was needed for topology but apparently for this textbook it’s not a prerequisite. I have linked the textbook below.

Topology for Beginners: A Rigorous Introduction to Set Theory, Topological Spaces, Continuity, Separation, Countability, Metrizability, Compactness, ... Function Spaces, and Algebraic Topology https://amzn.eu/d/8OcmwMl

I am not ready for differential geometry yet and won’t be for awhile I was just trying to create an ordered timeline of what to study and what order etc. sometimes it can be a little confusing
Formally, Topology is its own field. What is required is mathematical maturity, ie., the ability to read and write proofs. Topological concepts are found in Analysis, ie., open/closed/compact, metric spaces, continuity to name just a few. Having Analysis under your belt helps, since you will study some of the ideas from Analysis in a more general setting in Topology. Analysis also familiarizes one with examples/counterexamples. This is the reason why most schools have at least the first part of single variable analysis as a prerequisite for an introductory topology class.

Likes malawi_glenn
bigmike94 said:
Just to notify the moderator that edited the post title, “muestra” isn’t the names of the authors, it’s Spanish for “sample”, they was both samples downloaded on my kindle
Lo siento!

It was I who tried to add more detail to your thread title -- we try to make thread titles very descriptive at PF, and without the author names the title was too generic. What are the two author names so I can update the title please?

berkeman said:
Lo siento!

It was I who tried to add more detail to your thread title -- we try to make thread titles very descriptive at PF, and without the author names the title was too generic. What are the two author names so I can update the title please?
No worries. One is by L.M woodward & J. Bolton and the other is by Jon Pierre Fortney

Likes berkeman
MidgetDwarf said:
Formally, Topology is its own field. What is required is mathematical maturity, ie., the ability to read and write proofs. Topological concepts are found in Analysis, ie., open/closed/compact, metric spaces, continuity to name just a few. Having Analysis under your belt helps, since you will study some of the ideas from Analysis in a more general setting in Topology. Analysis also familiarizes one with examples/counterexamples. This is the reason why most schools have at least the first part of single variable analysis as a prerequisite for an introductory topology class.
Ah thank you, the authors above also have real analysis for beginners so maybe them two should be on my reading list to get my feet wet. The chapters are split into lessons and are apparently very readable. We’ll see about that aha

bigmike94 said:
Ah thank you, the authors above also have real analysis for beginners so maybe them two should be on my reading list to get my feet wet. The chapters are split into lessons and are apparently very readable. We’ll see about that aha
I read that you mentioned starting topology in October. Are you taking a formal course? Or is it for self-study? If you have not done proof based mathematics, then you should self-study or enroll in a proof methods course. Taking the Topology class, without having taken a proof based math course, is guaranteed failure. After the proof methods course, study real analysis (single variable is fine), then proceed to Topology.

But I recall you are majoring in physics, not mathematics, so maybe a math methods book for physicist would suit your analysis/topology needs. But it never hurts to study math for its own sake.
I majored in mathematics (pure), and was a few units short for a BS in physics, so I am not sure how the typical Physics students learns Topology.

Moreover, you have more important things to learn first. Such as PDE, Vector Calculus at the level of Hubbard or similar book, Complex/Fourier Analysis, before trying to learn Topology, or even Differential Geometry.

bigmike94 said:
the authors above also have real analysis for beginners
You should check out that book and the "pure mathematics" first yes, perhaps also the "set theory" and "abstract algebra" but some of those topics are included in "pure mathematics" (which is more of a compilation of sevaral topics)

bigmike94 said:
I'd say it's the other way around: If you want to do analysis, you need topology! In "real analysis" you use the "standard topology" for sets of real numbers (or tupels of real numbers) induced by a metric, but this is already a quite special case of a topology defined on these sets.

vanhees71 said:
I'd say it's the other way around: If you want to do analysis, you need topology! In "real analysis" you use the "standard topology" for sets of real numbers (or tupels of real numbers) induced by a metric, but this is already a quite special case of a topology defined on these sets.
Usually, intro to real analysis books do cover some topology, so its all good :)

Likes vanhees71

1. Which book should I read first?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on personal preference. However, it is generally recommended to read Book A first, as it is usually the first in a series or the original work. This will provide a better understanding of the characters and plot.

2. How do the themes and messages in Book A and B compare?

The themes and messages in both books may have similarities and differences. It is important to read both books to fully understand and compare the themes and messages. However, if you are short on time, you can research reviews or summaries to get a general idea of the themes.

3. Are the writing styles of Book A and B similar?

The writing styles of the two books may vary depending on the authors. It is recommended to read a few pages of each book to get a sense of the writing style and see if it is something you enjoy. You can also read reviews or ask for recommendations from others who have read the books.

4. Will I miss out on anything if I read Book B first?

Reading Book B first may not provide the same experience as reading Book A first. You may miss out on important character development or plot points. It is best to read the books in the intended order to fully understand the story.

5. Can I read Book A and B simultaneously?

It is not recommended to read both books simultaneously as it may be confusing and disrupt the flow of the story. It is best to finish one book before starting the other to fully immerse yourself in each story.